What's new

RIP John Peel (1 Viewer)

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lars Larsen
I just read the news on cnn.com. What a tremendous loss! I enjoyed listening to John Peel for several years, when I was in college and had access to Radio 1 on cable. For the past few years, I had been looking forward to the day I would have access to Radio 1, and once again being able to tune in to the John Peel show. Now we are left with just the memories.
In my book, Mr. Peel will always be remembered for his warmth, great sense of humor and incredible knowledge of the most obscure and long lost undiscovered gems of music. The man had the widest taste of music you will ever find in any person. John Peel leaves a void that will most likely never be filled.
I'm glad I had the chance to have an e-mail read on the show by the man himself. I'm really holding on to that recording. I still can't believe he's gone...
Cheers, John...

David Egan

Stunt Coordinator
John Peel made the first recordings of dozens of punk bands in the 70s and they should all be rereleased. Up till a few years ago I could hear him on BBC international radio and he would do 20m of musicians I'd never heard of playing music I would likely never hear again but it was always interesting. He made a real contribution.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
John Peel lives, he always will.

Last night I read his favorite piece of music was the Undertones recording of Teenage Kicks from 1978.
So, I listened to a bit of it. It's a great bit of rave up and I'll be buying it.

Thanks John!

Deborah_T

Agent
I never listened to John Peel on the radio, but I always looked forward to the Peel Sessions that I would find on cd. Those were always the best recordings of punk bands.

...mention of the Undertones...wow...that brings back some memories! :)

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Peel's (and my) favorite band was The Fall, who recorded more Peel Sessions than anyone else. There's a massive box set coming next year that will include all 24 sessions.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Like Deborah, I never listened on the radio, but I loved those New Wave Peel Sessions, especially The Smiths.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks