What's new

RIP John Barry; Dead at 77 (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Sad to hear that the man responsible for one of my favorite scores (Dances With Wolves) has passed. I'm gonna watch this when it arrives on Blu-ray this week in his honor.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Sorry to hear this. He had an outstanding career. I was surprised to learn he was as young as he was - he did his first Bond movie before age 30; very impressive.

Of course, many people believe he, not Monty Norman, wrote the famous James Bond Theme. Norman defended his authorship over the years, but I think the evidence suggests it was Barry.

Barry's own comments on the theme, and Norman's side of the story:

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/music_barry_on_the_bond_theme.php3

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just picked up his score for Diamonds Are Forever. I may have to get some more.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Of course, many people believe he, not Monty Norman, wrote the famous James Bond Theme. Norman defended his authorship over the years, but I think the evidence suggests it was Barry.

The reason I said he "created" the Bond theme is because while some of the notes may have been Norman's, the arrangement that we all think of as the James Bond Theme is unquestionably Barry's.

Claire Panke

Second Unit
One of the great film composers - I was surprised he was only 77. We're watching Lion In Winter tonight, purely by chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks