Robert M. Grippo
Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just saw Jimmy Lydon passed on March 9th 2022 and he had just lost his wife of 70 years this past Janauary. He had a wonderful life and career. Hopefully we will see the Henry Aldrich films finally get the love they deserve. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...-father-henry-aldrich-movies-dead-1235115079/

How great would it be to see a RESTORED WAC release of this great film!
1647890895982.png

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Oh, I love the Henry Aldrich films. They are really terrific, tight little films, with a good mix of comedy and (in several cases) a surprising amount of suspense. It's rather mind-boggling to me how these just haven't been revived for recent airings or home-video releases. Only the last two entries in the series are a tad weak. Jimmy Lydon attended the Williamsburg Film Festival about 20 years back, and I had plans to go, but something came up. I think Mala Powers was also slated to be at that show. It remains the one show I'm always thinking back to, and regretting that I missed.

One film starring Jimmy Lydon I've always wanted to see is the rodeo-themed "Tucson" (1949-Fox), co-starring Penny Edwards. I have the one-sheet movie poster to it, but have never seen the film. Might not be anything special, but it sounds like a potentially fun little b-film. Although, Lydon also did another Fox quickie that year, "Miss Mink of 1949" (1949-Fox), which I found a bit disappointing, with Lydon stuck playing too much of a dishrag of a husband, opposite Lois Collier. Film had a promising premise, but it just didn't seem to work out.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Oh, I love the Henry Aldrich films. They are really terrific, tight little films, with a good mix of comedy and (in several cases) a surprising amount of suspense. It's rather mind-boggling to me how these just haven't been revived for recent airings or home-video releases. Only the last two entries in the series are a tad weak. Jimmy Lydon attended the Williamsburg Film Festival about 20 years back, and I had plans to go, but something came up. I think Mala Powers was also slated to be at that show. It remains the one show I'm always thinking back to, and regretting that I missed.

One film starring Jimmy Lydon I've always wanted to see is the rodeo-themed "Tucson" (1949-Fox), co-starring Penny Edwards. I have the one-sheet movie poster to it, but have never seen the film. Might not be anything special, but it sounds like a potentially fun little b-film. Although, Lydon also did another Fox quickie that year, "Miss Mink of 1949" (1949-Fox), which I found a bit disappointing, with Lydon stuck playing too much of a dishrag of a husband, opposite Lois Collier. Film had a promising premise, but it just didn't seem to work out.
The Henry Aldrich's are more fun than the Andy Hardy's! Got to check out 'Tucson' must be
on Youtube!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Wow 11 films, I wonder where they are all archived? I agree, these were alot more fun than the Andy Hardy features.
Eleven Henry Aldrich B movies were made by Paramount Pictures between 1939 and 1944:[6]

Henry Aldrich – Boy Scout (1944)
The first two films – the Brackett and Wilder scripted What a Life (1939), followed by Life with Henry (1941) – featured Jackie Cooper in the title role. In the remaining nine films, Jimmy Lydon portrayed Henry Aldrich.[6] Olive Blakeney and John Litel played Mr. and Mrs. Aldrich, while Charles Smith and Joan Mortimer played Basil "Dizzy" Stevens and Elise Towers.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Wow 11 films, I wonder where they are all archived? I agree, these were alot more fun than the Andy Hardy features.
Eleven Henry Aldrich B movies were made by Paramount Pictures between 1939 and 1944:[6]

Henry Aldrich – Boy Scout (1944)
The first two films – the Brackett and Wilder scripted What a Life (1939), followed by Life with Henry (1941) – featured Jackie Cooper in the title role. In the remaining nine films, Jimmy Lydon portrayed Henry Aldrich.[6] Olive Blakeney and John Litel played Mr. and Mrs. Aldrich, while Charles Smith and Joan Mortimer played Basil "Dizzy" Stevens and Elise Towers.
Universal has them all and restored too at a cost of 2 million I know of a company that made an offer and was told make another offer meanwhile they are all over the net in crappy bootlegs

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Universal has them all and restored too at a cost of 2 million I know of a company that made an offer and was told make another offer meanwhile they are all over the net in crappy bootlegs
Yep, that's the way of it, it seems that if it's free many don't mind the "crappy bootleg" versions. I just don't get it either, sad statement about people. And combined with studios that think they have somthing so precious that thay woud rather lock it away, and not release them without blockbuster prices. Meanwhile the film and audio elements are rotting away in some archive, Damn Stupidity!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks