What's new

RIP iPod Touch - RIP iPod line (2001-2022) (1 Viewer)

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie
iPod Touch is officially dead : https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/05/the-music-lives-on.

End of an era.

I still own an iPod Classic and I still love it. And I guess a bunch of users of similar profile feels the same way I do: I still enjoy "owing" my music catalogue and not having to pay a stream service.

Truth be told though: even though the Touch is/was very light, I always hoped for a smaller version (with greater storage capacity though).

RIP iPods.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
iPod Touch is officially dead : https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/05/the-music-lives-on.

End of an era.

I still own an iPod Classic and I still love it. And I guess a bunch of users of similar profile feels the same way I do: I still enjoy "owing" my music catalogue and not having to pay a stream service.

Truth be told though: even though the Touch is/was very light, I always hoped for a smaller version (with greater storage capacity though).

RIP iPods.
Well, the IPod does kind of still exist - they just added a phone and internet and apps to it.

I 'own' the thousands on songs on my device.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Well, the IPod does kind of still exist - they just added a phone and internet and apps to it.

For my money, the best thing Apple has done in recent memory has been iTunes Match - access to my library on my phone without needing to connect the phone to get it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My wife still uses her iPod Nano. I have tried to convince her to let me load those songs on her phone, but she continues to resist.

I switched to using my Android smartphone as my portable music player several years ago after I accidentally ran my iPod Nano through the washing machine. My last two phones had slots for microSD cards, so I used that to load all my music. Unfortunately, memory slots are now a thing of the past even for Android phones. I had to pair down the music on my phone a little, but still was able to fit all the essential stuff on a 128GB phone. In fact, as I type this I am playing Springsteen's Live from New York City concert via my phone to a Bluetooth speaker while enjoying a wonderful spring Michigan day on my deck and drinking a beer.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In fact, as I type this I am playing Springsteen's Live from New York City concert via my phone to a Bluetooth speaker while enjoying a wonderful spring Michigan day on my deck and drinking a beer.

That brings back some memories - I was at one of the two shows that the CD/DVD was culled from.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I own an iPod Touch and still use it every day to listen to music and podcasts (I walk over an hour to and from work every day). It's got a smaller profile than my Android smartphone and fits much more comfortably in my pocket. Sorry to see the product line end, but then again, I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I used to have a friend who was what you’d probably call an Apple fanboy, and he’d nearly have a meltdown when someone less knowledgeable would call it an “iTouch” instead of “iPod Touch”. And he worked at an Apple store, so it happened pretty frequently! :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Shame. I still have a Nano I use at the gym because of it's smaller size. Then I have a newer Touch that I got a couple years ago. Might have to see if I can find another Touch before they disappear.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have an iPod nano 16GB. I was using routinely until last Summer. I discovered (a) I could use Apple Music at work and (b) Apple Music is fantastic.

I (belatedly) switched to paid streaming music last year and it’s tremendously improved my relationship with music.

But I‘m keeping my nano just in case. :)

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

End of an era.

You can use an iPhone with your own music collection. I'm currently experimenting with streaming as a way of discovering new bands, but my iPhone holds a lot of music that I bought on CD, from the iTunes Store, or from other digital (electronic) music services.

I had that music loaded and working on my unlocked iPhone before I got a nano-SIM to enable cell phone and cellular data service.

RIP iPods.

I've still got a third-generation iPod Nano. It's a very small device that fits easily into a shirt pocket with room to spare. It has 8 GB of flash storage – enough to hold about 100 albums of music encoded using low-bitrate AAC or MP3.

Apple – Identify your iPod model

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If someone wanted an “iPod touch”, could they buy a (user) iPhone and use it on WiFi only, no cell plan?

Guardyan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mattie

Right. But my comment wasn't about that I cannot "own" songs when using an iPhone. The matter is basically that I want a device solely for music and not something that may interrupt my listening experience because someone is calling me. Also, iPhones are too heavy and big for that purpose.

I own an iPod Touch and still use it every day to listen to music and podcasts (I walk over an hour to and from work every day). It's got a smaller profile than my Android smartphone and fits much more comfortably in my pocket. Sorry to see the product line end, but then again, I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has.

I'm also surprised it's lasted this long. Your comment on size fits in perfectly with what I think about the whole thing.

Apple should have thought a little bit more about trying to turn it into something different. A better experience even. It could have been turned also into a gaming device. But their operation regarding video games is just... strange.

Plus the Touch was expensive for what it was offering lately.

Shame. I still have a Nano I use at the gym because of it's smaller size. Then I have a newer Touch that I got a couple years ago. Might have to see if I can find another Touch before they disappear.
Yep! It was perfect for the gym and that's why I also had one at some point. I'm hoping they will turn "iPod" into a feature: the new Apple AirPods 4 - "there's an iPod inside! All the songs in the world... this time not in your pocket but right into your ears" lol!

You can use an iPhone with your own music collection. I'm currently experimenting with streaming as a way of discovering new bands, but my iPhone holds a lot of music that I bought on CD, from the iTunes Store, or from other digital (electronic) music services.

I had that music loaded and working on my unlocked iPhone before I got a nano-SIM to enable cell phone and cellular data service.

I've still got a third-generation iPod Nano. It's a very small device that fits easily into a shirt pocket with room to spare. It has 8 GB of flash storage – enough to hold about 100 albums of music encoded using low-bitrate AAC or MP3.

Apple – Identify your iPod model
"You can use an iPhone with your own music collection"

Yes, as I stated above, I know that. But the market dictates how things go and, more than once, it's been hinted that Apple might kill the iTunes Store and just focus on streaming. I could still buy CDs or go to other digital music vendors and add my music to my devices, but I really hope we can keep both options coexisting. I also don't believe that Apple would kill the iTunes Store.

I had an iPod Nano too. Many years later I got tired of the dated little screen and the click wheel... plus the battery wasn't that efficient anymore and finding a way to replace it was a hassle. But I couldn't fit all of my content in it. So it was just just a solution for some outdoor activities. It was amazing but eventually it didn't serve me anymore. I still have it but it's more like a time capsule now.

More than anything, I might be an ET because I really don't like having all my stuff on a single device, or - especially - turning my phone in a lifeline like so many people seem to be doing. There's a time during the day that I want to distance myself from my phone completely. I see that's not the case for most people. Whenever I'm walking downtown I see a bunch of people looking down at their screens... some doing it even when they shouldn't (like when driving), and it's weird. I'm not even from an old generation to find this so strange. After I read that article about a research that found out that 4 in 10 Americans use their phones even when they are on the toilet, I was like: damn, digital zombies! Listening to music should be an experience rather than just some noise in the background. That's my approach.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I used iTunes Match for music for a time. It overrode my album art and a great deal of my library was unplayable and I couldn't get the library to sync. When I cancelled Match, the album art on my phone was never the same. Random tracks were missing altogether. iTunes won't replace it on the phone even though it's correct on my computer.

Match turned out to be the most frustrating experience, I truly miss the old classic iPods. 160GB of just music, no calls, no social media overriding the music and never once was there a problem with art.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't understand this asinine 'my phone or my internet intrudes argument' Just turn off the phone and internet on your IPhone. Geez.

As for people constantly looking at their devices. That has nothing to do with the device and all to do with the people.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are some personal and professional locations where only a non-wireless device (no Bluetooth, no WiFi, no cell) is acceptable.

It’s disappointing that there are no more iPods sold so people can have music in those places (short of using actual cds on ancient CD players). But that’s such a tiny number of people overall, Apple doesn’t care.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
What’s crazy to me is that they still sold 3 million last year and that’s considered a failure. I think there is something seriously wrong with our corporate values when that’s considered an insignificant number to continue a product line. Ok, it’s not the juggernaut it used to be, but 3 million isn’t exactly five hundred discs of an old movie, it’s a significant number.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What’s crazy to me is that they still sold 3 million last year and that’s considered a failure. I think there is something seriously wrong with our corporate values when that’s considered an insignificant number to continue a product line. Ok, it’s not the juggernaut it used to be, but 3 million isn’t exactly five hundred discs of an old movie, it’s a significant number.
That’s about $300M gross revenue. Their “small” businesses make about 100x that, I think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks