What's new

RIP Hal Holbrook (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Best known for playing the mysterious Deep Throat in All the President's Men and the vigilante police chief in the Dirty Harry sequel Magnum Force.

He was also one of the country's most prolific and acclaimed Mark Twain impersonators.

He was 95.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In addition to the above mentioned roles, I loved him in both The West Wing and Lincoln.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
He's in a bunch of movies that I like but as a big John Carpenter fan, he'll always be Father Malone in The Fog to me. He semi-recently played Katie Sagal's father on Sons Of Anarchy. Wonderful actor with a great body of work.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have loved him since I was a teenager when I first saw him when CBS broadcast his brilliant Mark Twain Tonight! Couldn't believe it wasn't Twain sitting there holding forth on numerous topics. Was furious when that didn't bring him his first Emmy. (He did win a Tony for it on stage.)

He was a brave actor choosing to play an out gay man in That Certain Summer decades before it was safe for actors to play such roles. That didn't bring him his first Emmy either though it should have. He finally won for Pueblo.

I never saw him give a bad performance, and I will miss him utterly in the years to come. R.I.P.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I was fortunate enough to see him on stage in San Diego as Mark Twain, twice. I also remembering watching the TV broadcast. When it concluded I thought “wait, that wasn’t an hour.” It was so good it went by in a flash.

Goodby Hal.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Legendary actor. My favorite character will always be this one. It's sad to say goodbye but it's always tempered when it has been a long and illustrious journey.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also saw him a couple of times onstage as Twain. It is remarkable how during the entire program one feels it is Twain's timing and delivery one is enjoying and not Holbrook's performance. He disappeared into the role.

I also like his Lincoln miniseries. I think he portrayed Abe as more of a bumpkin in his speech than most actors before him. RIP.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really need to see the taped version of Mark Twain Tonight again. I unfortunately never got to see it in person.

I was lucky enough to know him and to work with him on a couple of projects. Class, grace, and intelligence were a part of everything he did ... and one of the kindest gents I have ever met. RIP Hal.

jackR

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Saw him twice on B'way during the original run of Mark Twain Tonight. Same show, two different girls. For $10 for two people on a "two-fer" ticket - back when even teenagers could afford to get hooked on legitimate theater. Now you'd have to take out a second mortgage. After The Man of La Mancha (before its move to B'way), Hal's performance is till my fave. What a life, what a loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks