What's new

RIP Elliott Smith (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
At age 34, Elliott Smith has taken his own life.

The HTF isn't usually a place full of folks who listen to obscure and indie artists, but I thought there might be a handful of you who would be affected by the news.

From pitchfork:

Steven Paul (Elliott) Smith. August 6, 1969 – October 21, 2003.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
Terrible news. The article I read says it was suicide from a knife wound, how sad. I remember reading an interview with him years ago where he talked about a prior suicide attmept.
Big fan of his, XO was a fixture in my CD player for a long time.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Yes, a self-inflicted knife wound to the chest. People have been busying themselves drawing parallels between it and the "Needle In The Hay" sequence of The Royal Tenenbaums.

Sad. :frowning:

Van Patton

Second Unit
Wow this is just REALLY weird. I took out Royal Tenenbaums and watched it for the first time in over a year Monday...I also learned the song "Needle and the Hay" on the guitar Monday. That is beyond creepy. But, like everyone else said, it's a shame this had to happen because this kid was great.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Whoa. I didn't hear about this. Elliot's kind of a friend of a friend, and a very well-known figure in this town.

How sad :frowning:

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
what a travesty, a great loss indeed. he wrote some beautiful songs. "either/or" is one of my favorite albums.

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
I never met the man, but I'm going to miss him.

Put one of his albums in, shed a few tears.

Good to know there are a few kindred spirits in this corner of the web.

Sigh. Peace, comrades.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised by this news as well, I really enjoyed his music. I only have 2 of his albums but i'll be giving them a spin later tonight, RIP Elliott. He will be missed :frowning:

The sequence in The Royal Tenenbaums that featured "Needle in the Hay" was superb.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Damn, what is up with this year? It seems a lot of celebs are dying before their time.

I find the "suicide" kinda fishy though. One article mentioned that he had knife wounds. Besides samurai, who commits suicide by repeatedly stabbing themselves in the chest with a knife? I would think that is pretty rare way to go for a suicide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks