1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

RIP Edward Herrmann (1943-2014)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The famed actor, known for playing family patriarch Richard Gilmore on "Gilmore Girls" as well as being the voice of countless audio books and narrating documentaries, was taken off life support after his battle with brain cancer took a dramatic turn for the worse in the past month. He continued performing on stage right through the autumn. He was 71.

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Will miss him very much. He was most welcome as a recurring guest on The Good Wife, and no one will quite embody FDR as memorably as he did on TV and in the first film version of Annie.

MatthewA likes this.
  3. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned
    BANNED

EricJ
    No one else was allowed to play FDR (although John Lithgow got a good one in), and Hermann even did a scary real-life Wm. Hearst in Peter Bogdanovich's "The Cat's Meow" that puts Citizen Kane to shame.

I checked on IMDb, though, and, yep: "Lost Boys and Gilmore Girls star Edward Hermann..." :rolleyes:

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I will always remember him as Richard Gilmore...and for his various portrayals as FDR.

But he will be held most dearly in my heart in the role of Father Joseph McCabe--founder of St. Eligius in Boston. :D

I also saw him in a couple of stage productions in the Berkshires.

A great American actor.

[​IMG]

MatthewA likes this.
  5. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    We've lost another great actor. R.I.P.

6. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    For those of us of a certain age, Lost Boys was our first introduction to Herrmann. Being a fan of Gilmore Girls, it was always fun knowing he had that other role in his resumé.

Rest in peace.

7. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Producer

Robert
    M*A*S*H

For all the stuff I've seen him in, and the absurd amount of History Channel stuff I've seen with his narration, the one thing I remember best is the MASH episode where he was the fill-in surgeon who came in from the front (IIRC) and seemed to be doing fine, until he cracked.

Hell of a performance. Hell of an actor.

8. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    Edward Herrman of many films including The Lost Boys, The Great Gatsby, The Aviator, and The Cat's Meow died Wednesday at the age of 71.

http://www.thewrap.com/edward-herrmann-lost-boys-villain-dead-at-71-report/

"Edward Herrmann, who won an Emmy for “The Practice,” co-starred on “Gilmore Girls” and played the main villain in “The Lost Boys,” has died at age 71.
    The “Gilmore Girls” actor had been suffering from brain cancer and died in a New York hospital surrounded by family.
    “Edward Herrmann besides being an accomplished actor, he was a true gentleman and a scholar, as well as being an incredibly kind and decent man. He will be sorely missed,” his manager Robbie Kass said in a statement Wednesday to TheWrap."

9. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    ...Jesus, 2014. You just HAD to get one more in right before the buzzer, didn't you?

Apparently Kelly Bishop was able to see him just before he passed. That's rather sweet, actually, and I'm sure the man was well-respected and well-loved.

10. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    He also did quite a bit of stage work and won a Tony Award for Mrs. Warren's Profession.

As I said earlier, he will certainly be missed.

11. vidiot33

vidiot33 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I believe also a young Edward Hermann starred in the original "Paper Chase" and had a supporting role in "Overboard", a class act, he will be missed.

12. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I hope they include Mr. Herrmann in the Oscars In Memoriam in February, but I have this feeling that he'll fall into the category of character actors who did lots of work, but not worthy of the Oscars. I find myself thinking of how people like Charles Lane and Ed Lauter did so many roles in the movies that it would take months to go through their entire filmographies, yet when they died, they weren't included in the Oscars In Memoriam, despite decades of work. I hope Mr. Herrmann's memory escapes that fate.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

At least he'll be in this year's TCM Remembers.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Nice anecdote from "Gilmore Girls" creator Amy Sherman-Palladino about how he was cast for the show over at TVLine.

14. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I did get to watch him perform on Broadway,opposite Kate Nelligan, in David Hare's "Plenty." Herrmann was nominated for a Tony for this performance. Oh, I also saw him in The Lost Boys, and The Paper Chase, among other films. To me, he was the definitive FDR in the 2 TV movies he made opposite Jane Alexander playing Eleanor. Alas, never watched The Gilmore Girls.
    Dreadful disease. RIP.

15. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    He was also pretty good in Disney's The North Avenue Irregulars and played a gay role in Big Business; there's a wonderful scene in the latter Herrmann's character and his partner are in a hotel room, and Fred Ward has sneaked in, sees them together (one in a thigh-length kimono-style robe) and doesn't put two and two together.
    And he died such a short time after Geoffrey Holder, too.

16. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

Shocked that he was only 71, I really thought he was so much older.I enjoyed many of his performances over the years, he will be missed.

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Just Like Mike his appearance on St. Elsewhere is what I will remmebr him for more than anything else.