What's new

RIP Edward Herrmann (1943-2014) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The famed actor, known for playing family patriarch Richard Gilmore on "Gilmore Girls" as well as being the voice of countless audio books and narrating documentaries, was taken off life support after his battle with brain cancer took a dramatic turn for the worse in the past month. He continued performing on stage right through the autumn. He was 71.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Will miss him very much. He was most welcome as a recurring guest on The Good Wife, and no one will quite embody FDR as memorably as he did on TV and in the first film version of Annie.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Matt Hough said:
Will miss him very much. He was most welcome as a recurring guest on The Good Wife, and no one will quite embody FDR as memorably as he did on TV and in the first film version of Annie.
No one else was allowed to play FDR (although John Lithgow got a good one in), and Hermann even did a scary real-life Wm. Hearst in Peter Bogdanovich's "The Cat's Meow" that puts Citizen Kane to shame.

I checked on IMDb, though, and, yep: "Lost Boys and Gilmore Girls star Edward Hermann..." :rolleyes:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I will always remember him as Richard Gilmore...and for his various portrayals as FDR.

But he will be held most dearly in my heart in the role of Father Joseph McCabe--founder of St. Eligius in Boston. :biggrin:

I also saw him in a couple of stage productions in the Berkshires.

A great American actor.

141255318-time-heals-part-2-episode-18-pictured-edward-gettyimages.jpg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
For those of us of a certain age, Lost Boys was our first introduction to Herrmann. Being a fan of Gilmore Girls, it was always fun knowing he had that other role in his resumé.

Rest in peace.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
M*A*S*H

For all the stuff I've seen him in, and the absurd amount of History Channel stuff I've seen with his narration, the one thing I remember best is the MASH episode where he was the fill-in surgeon who came in from the front (IIRC) and seemed to be doing fine, until he cracked.

Hell of a performance. Hell of an actor.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Edward Herrman of many films including The Lost Boys, The Great Gatsby, The Aviator, and The Cat's Meow died Wednesday at the age of 71.

http://www.thewrap.com/edward-herrmann-lost-boys-villain-dead-at-71-report/

"Edward Herrmann, who won an Emmy for “The Practice,” co-starred on “Gilmore Girls” and played the main villain in “The Lost Boys,” has died at age 71.
The “Gilmore Girls” actor had been suffering from brain cancer and died in a New York hospital surrounded by family.
“Edward Herrmann besides being an accomplished actor, he was a true gentleman and a scholar, as well as being an incredibly kind and decent man. He will be sorely missed,” his manager Robbie Kass said in a statement Wednesday to TheWrap."

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
...Jesus, 2014. You just HAD to get one more in right before the buzzer, didn't you?

Apparently Kelly Bishop was able to see him just before he passed. That's rather sweet, actually, and I'm sure the man was well-respected and well-loved.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
He also did quite a bit of stage work and won a Tony Award for Mrs. Warren's Profession.

As I said earlier, he will certainly be missed.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I believe also a young Edward Hermann starred in the original "Paper Chase" and had a supporting role in "Overboard", a class act, he will be missed.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I hope they include Mr. Herrmann in the Oscars In Memoriam in February, but I have this feeling that he'll fall into the category of character actors who did lots of work, but not worthy of the Oscars. I find myself thinking of how people like Charles Lane and Ed Lauter did so many roles in the movies that it would take months to go through their entire filmographies, yet when they died, they weren't included in the Oscars In Memoriam, despite decades of work. I hope Mr. Herrmann's memory escapes that fate.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

At least he'll be in this year's TCM Remembers.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I did get to watch him perform on Broadway,opposite Kate Nelligan, in David Hare's "Plenty." Herrmann was nominated for a Tony for this performance. Oh, I also saw him in The Lost Boys, and The Paper Chase, among other films. To me, he was the definitive FDR in the 2 TV movies he made opposite Jane Alexander playing Eleanor. Alas, never watched The Gilmore Girls.
Dreadful disease. RIP.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
He was also pretty good in Disney's The North Avenue Irregulars and played a gay role in Big Business; there's a wonderful scene in the latter Herrmann's character and his partner are in a hotel room, and Fred Ward has sneaked in, sees them together (one in a thigh-length kimono-style robe) and doesn't put two and two together.
Matt Hough said:
And he died such a short time after Geoffrey Holder, too.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Shocked that he was only 71, I really thought he was so much older.I enjoyed many of his performances over the years, he will be missed.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Just Like Mike his appearance on St. Elsewhere is what I will remmebr him for more than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks