What's new

RIP, David Bloom. (1 Viewer)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I really liked David Bloom even though I have tried avoiding war coverage like SARS (the new plague). He was total class and I am very sorry for his family.

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I were both equally surprised and saddened when we learned of his sudden death. We enjoyed his reports from the front and his time on Weekend today.

When the topic of the embolism came up, I thought all of the time that he spent cramped up in the Bradley traveling.

Tim Russert did say the other day that he spoke to David shortly before his passing, and the last call he made was to his family.

God Bless.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
That was the weird part: David had just talked to his wife, and then just moments or minutes later, he died from PE.

Stephen_Opipari

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
My wife and I are very saddened by this news. We really liked Bloom on Today and were always looking forward to his rising in the NBC network. A true journalist of the ilk we do not see today.

I read on the Washington Post this morning that he had been sleeping in *very* cramped conditions very shortly before his death. It would seem that the way the soldiers have to sleep could be a catalyst to causing somthing like PE.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Here's another good article:
http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...8783_db071.htm

I knew who Bloom was, but didn't realize he was covering the war. It's sad, & rather scary, since we are the same age, & he always looked pretty healthy.

There's something sobering about seeing someone born the same year as you, with the birth & death years shown (1963-2003), especially when you hear it was natural causes.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
It had been said that he was really shining in his coverage of the war while embbeded. Comparisons to the original Scud Studs of the first Desert Storm were being made and that his star would continue to rise and get shinier.

His contemporaries at ALL the news services paid a good eal of respect to him and noted aside from being with his wife and daughters...there was no other place he would want to be than with the troops at the head of the line.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
PE is pretty common, I just had a friend in his early 40s pass away from it about 6 months ago. He was at a doctor's office 2 weeks earlier and it went unnoticed.

Thoughts and Prayers go out to everyone effected by this war.

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Kirk,

Not to change the topic of the thread, but sorry to hear about your friend. Unfortuntely, there is no way to "notice" a PE on a regular physical exam. There are vague hints like shortness of breath, chest pain, and fast heart rate, but these can be attributed to many a thing.
At least in current medical training, we are taught basically that if the thought of PE even pops into your head, you should order a radiologic test for it. At an outpatient setting, I can imagine that might not happen often. I think it is a fairly common cause of death which has been flying under the radar forever.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks