What's new

RIP Christopher Reeve (1 Viewer)

Pete-D

Screenwriter
I'm just incredibly saddened.

For a few moments my mind flashed back to being a kid growing up in the 80s and trying to jump off stairs pretending you could fly like Superman in the movies.

I know I wasn't the only one.

And your mom would always scold you for being so reckless, but sure enough after popping in the VHS (or Beta, heh) copy of Superman, you'd be back trying to pull the same stunt.

As great as he was as Superman, Mr. Reeve was even more inspiring for championing research for people stricken with paralysis.

I was convinced that we would all get a chance to see him walk again. Hopefully his memory will continue to give hope and strength to those who need it most.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Somewhere in Time is one of my little favourites too.

A nice actor and a nice person. That's how he struck me. May he rest in peace indeed.

Cees

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Good call on Somewhere in Time. I'm not a big fan of the flick, but I know it's got a very loyal fanbase out there.

A few of Mr. Reeve's "non-super" appearances that I enjoyed:

Street Smart - Some solid dramatic work alongside Morgan Freeman.

Switching Channels - A not-great modernization on The Front Page / His Girl Friday, but Reeve holds his own against Burt Reynolds and Kathleen Turner.

Noises Off! - Underrated Bogdanovich adaptation of the popular stage comedy. Kinda sad to see both Christopher Reeve and John Ritter in this one. :frowning:

Speechless - Not a very good movie, but I remember Reeve being one of the assets.

Deathtrap - Solid mystery thriller...and who can forget that scene between Reeve and Michael Caine?

Remains of the Day - Remember he was in this one?? Heh.

Looks like Carpenter's Village of the Damned is due for a Netflix revisit, too.

Sigh.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I had planned on watching it for this months HTF Horror Challenge.

I'm still shocked, such an inspirational human being. :frowning:

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
This is truly a sad event, my condolences go out to the Reeve family for their loss.

Before Star Wars and Indiana Jones took ahold of my imagination, I did everything in my ability to emmulate Christopher Reeve as Superman. He was a man of class, whom I will dearly miss.

Perhaps his tragic sacrifce will open new doors for the world.

Brian Sallot

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I was shocked to hear of his death this morning and I know he will be missed by many and I am one of the ones that will miss him

RIP Christopher Reeve (The Real Superman)

Brian

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I suffer from Muscular Dystrophy and am also on a ventilator... This one really hurts for me, I always loved this person and admired him since I was 6 (I'm 30 now)! He will always be, the "real" Superman!

They will probably make a new DVD Superman box set now for 2005... Smallville will probably dedicate an upcoming episode to him in the following weeks.

Superman - R.I.P.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Truely a Sad Day. In the End thou we found out Chris Reeve was'nt just acting the part of the Man of Steel he truely was one.

J

John Ford

Vince, that single image brought a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat. Godspeed Mr. Reeves.
johnf

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Woke up to this shocking news :frowning:

What can I say? I am 30 years old, and grew up with Christopher Reeve as my Superman.

My best wishes to his family, fans, and friends.

Rest In Peace,
Chuck

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
I had the privilege of seeing Mr. Reeve live, at a taping of the Carol Burnett show back in 1991 at Disney Studios in L.A. He really had fine comic timing, as displayed in movies like Superman and Noises Off. I really thought we'd see him walk again. He certainly didn't go down without a fight and he is an inspiration. As a Smallville fan, I hope they pay tribute to him somehow in the next couple of weeks.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
What a tragedy. A man who was an even bigger hero in life, after his accident, than the character he played on the silver screen. Goodbye Supes.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I have a story about Chris R that my aunt told me about 22 years ago.

She was in a library in NYC (I dont remember which)and saw this tall guy quickly walking back and forth swinging his head to look up the aisles as he passed them, mumbling to himself. When he got near her she recognized him and said something like "Whatd you loose you cape or something?" He smiled and said no piece of paper he had tucked in a book had fallen out and he was trying to find it.

Anyway, even though he was in a hurry,he took 5 minutes to talk to her and even signed a autograph.

Ive always loved the first Superman film.I remember the fist time I saw it as a 9 year old like it was yesterday.People here have seen my state my high opinion of it many times, its #13 on my all time favorite list. I think he was born to make that film.

Sad sad news:frowning: RIP

Scott Burke

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott B.
I like the rest of you just can't believe that Superman is dead. He was my childhood hero, and now he's gone. I'm very sad and shocked by this news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks