What's new

RIP Christopher Plummer (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I watched Up again tonight.

A lot of the tributes pouring in for Plummer lately don't mention this one. Maybe that's because he is a voice role only and not on screen physically, but I think it is one of his best roles. It might even be his most-seen work other than The Sound of Music.

Muntz.jpg
Up.jpg

theonemacduff

Second Unit
Real Name
Jon Paul
Isn't Canada part of the 'British' Commonwealth ?
It is, but the relationship is fairly distant at this point, since the "constitution" was repatriated (or something) in 1982, and largely ceremonial. Up until then, Canadians still had some UK rights as "British subjects" (though Thatcher's government tried to restrict those to the so-called "white dominions" only). When I was a kid in Grade 8, there were photos of the Queen in every classroom, but that's long gone. The relationship these days is more like the "special relationship" between the US and the UK, though I would say, slightly less likely to be barbed.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It is, but the relationship is fairly distant at this point, since the "constitution" was repatriated (or something) in 1982, and largely ceremonial. Up until then, Canadians still had some UK rights as "British subjects" (though Thatcher's government tried to restrict those to the so-called "white dominions" only). When I was a kid in Grade 8, there were photos of the Queen in every classroom, but that's long gone. The relationship these days is more like the "special relationship" between the US and the UK, though I would say, slightly less likely to be barbed.

(On a tangent).

So no more official knighthoods for canucks, aussies, kiwis, etc ... ?

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
Man, what an icon. Honestly, this one feels extra-shocking, because he was doing some of his best work right up until the end. Pretty consistently working in high-profile films, good roles, multiple Oscar-nods all just in the last 15 years alone. Really one hell of a closing chapter of his career.

One of the baddest of the badasses in The Insider as equally-legendary badass Mike Wallace:

YOU CORPORATE LACKEY.

(...Shit, it's time for an Insider-rewatch.)

Christopher Plummer's performance as Mike Wallace was remarkable, not for looking or sounding like Wallace, but for catching the nuance of Wallace's body language and speech delivery.

But I've especially enjoyed Plummer as Chang in Star Trek VI. The idea of a Klingon warrior who quotes Shakespeare leading to and during battle was brilliant, and Plummer played it to the hilt. It's fun when an actor has the honest chance to chew the scenery and does it that well.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Very sad news. Christopher Plummer made so many fine films and has been noted elevated any project he appeared in.
Too many great performances to mention Mr. Plummer was an actor who always convinced regardless of the role.
I had the great pleasure of seeing Mr. Plummer and Brian Dennehy appear together on Broadway in Inherit The Wind; what a total treat.
Thank you for giving us so many fine performances, Sir. May you rest in peace.
Here's a film that perhaps some of you aren't aware of and that is "The Man Who Invented Christmas." Made perhaps 3 years ago, it tells the story of how Charles Dickens wrote "A Christmas Carol." Mr. Plummer plays Ebenezer Scrooge. A wonderful film and a showcase for Mr. Plummer. Very enjoyable!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I don't think he ever gave a bad performance. He was a consummate professional. Even in the 1965 blockbuster film he disliked so much, he acquitted himself well.

Reactions: PMF

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Plummer was a great actor and I was fortunate enough to have seen him on stage as Iago(tremendous) and Barrymore. But the affection he holds in people's hearts is due to The Sound of Music. It's a movie I found a a bore as a child but grew to love as an adult. He seems to have gained an enormous appreciation himself for it as he got old.

SixOfTheRichest

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daz
Plummer was a great actor and I was fortunate enough to have seen him on stage as Iago(tremendous) and Barrymore. But the affection he holds in people's hearts is due to The Sound of Music. It's a movie I found a a bore as a child but grew to love as an adult. He seems to have gained an enormous appreciation himself for it as he got old.
Yes, Plummer was a one of a kind actor. Always delivered.

I couldn't get into The Sound Of Music either as a kid, or an adult.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When The Sound of Music came out I refused to see the movie as a grade school teacher of mine kept making us sing those silly songs from it. I finally decided to watch the movie as an adult in my mature years. I actually like the movie very much so and watch it every five years or so. The songs aren't as silly to me now as they were when I was 9 or 10.

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
He grew to tolerate the attention it generated; I never heard him say he appreciated it.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well watch the Ben M interview with him and Andrews on youtube before a TCM showing of the film at Grauman's. But then he was a consumate actor.

• Haha

sultan of cinema

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Mr. Plummer was outstanding in two of my favorite films, The Silent Partner with Elliott Gould and Susannah York as well as portraying a wonderful version of Sherlock Holmes along side James Mason's Watson in Bob Clark's Murder By Decree. I saw both films on their opening nights and the theater was empty. How sad. He was even commanding in small parts such as The Inside Man. Just watch the scene with Jody Foster, wow! It's wonderful to have film to preserve these performances. And of course in Blake Edwards Return of The Pink Panther.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks