What's new

RIP - Bob Mayo (Peter Frampton's band) (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
There is a thread over at Hoffman's site indicating that Bob Mayo has passed away. It can be found here http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29624

What a shame. If you are a certain age, you will always associate Bob with the great keyboard solo on Do You Feel Like We Do.

As Peter says on the FCA, and Saint Peter is no doubt saying right now as Bob strolls through the pearly gates, "Bob Mayo on the keyboards. Bob Mayo".

BGL

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I will always remember his name due to the "Bob Mayo on the keyboards.." line on Frampton Comes Alive. When i saw Frampton and Journey in concert, I made a joke to my buddy "I wonder if Bob Mayo is on the keyboards" and low and behold he was.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
We must not forget all the background/studio musicians who ars so instrumental in all the songs/albums we love so much. They get little notoriety or credit for what they do. But once in a while a musician like Bob Mayo comes along who cannot go unnoticed. At least we have allot to remember him by. Gene

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Oh my. Bob was a real character and a big part of the Frampton sound. He was a lot of fun at the concert I saw of these guys last October. Peter had these keyfobs that contained samples of Frampton songs. He flung one left, center and right into the audience then joked that the folks in the balcony were out of luck. Peter then joked with Bob about being able to throw them up there which Bob promptly did. It's funny what you remember isn't it...

N

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
man....very sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I never got to see Frampton in concert(I'm certainly old enough to have done so). Like some others here at the Music Area I purchased the Frampton "Live in Detroit" DVD. Besides the fact that it's a great concert, I like to watch Peter and Bob interact. By watching the DVD concert it's easy to realize that Bob was a cornerstone of the band and will be greatly missed. "Rock On Bob!"

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I am kind of surprised that this thread is not getting more play given that FCA is such an ingrained part of rock/pop culture. Didn't Mike Meyers joke in Wayne's World that any kid living in the suburbs was automatically issued a copy?

Bob's solo on DYFLWD is as much an integral part of the song as Peter's talk box solo. I can't see them playing the song live w/o Bob.

FWIW, I remember being in high school FCA came out, and arguing with the girls in class that this album was crap, and the only reason they bought it was that thought Peter was cute.

Over the years, I did come around to liking FCA, although I have to say, lyrics were never Peter's strong suit. But his playing made up for that, and I saw him twice over the last 13 years; once in a small club in Connecticut, and once in a smallish civic center in New Mexico. Both shows were very good, and the Live in Detroit DVD is one of the better concert DVDs out there.

BGL

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I'll miss Bob Mayo. I am a big Pete fan and Bob was a big part of the overall picture.

The last time I heard Bob, Pete and the boys live was on the Bob and Tom radio show a month or so ago.

My condolences to Bob's family and to the band...Pete, Chad and John.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks