#obligatory

That would be Bill Pullman.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Very sad news! He was starring the Training Days on TV so I guess that's it for that series which wasn't doing well in ratings.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Just checked google news and saw the headlines. Really unexpected, unfortunate, and sad.

So many quotable lines from Aliens; probably makes it my definitive Paxton role. RIP Hudson.

- Walter.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
"Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!"

Such sad news. Only 61. So many interesting characters on the screen (big and little). He will be missed.

Prayers and condolences for his family.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
The fact he has been killed onscreen by an Alien, a Predator and the Terminator is badass enough as it is. You basically play the 5th or 6th most important supporting-player in Aliens, and STILL become the single most-quoted character in the entire movie.

So many great roles. From bit-parts to leads, he always brought it.

Edge of Tomorrow still holds up incredibly well, and he's a big part of that. He's a big part of a lot of why those types of movies work.

Near Dark, though. A stone-cold classic. ("I HATE IT when they ain't been shaved!!")

Was actually planning on introducing my niece to Weird Science very shortly, matter of fact. "Make yourself some, dickweed," with that Chet-laugh, and, "Did you spit in this?" / "Uh, no, Chet, not that I am aware of..." were staples of my brother's and my vocabulary growing up.

I've seen Bill Paxton in movies that I loved, and in movies that I didn't much care for, but he was fucking great in every single one of them. There are multiple major award-winners who aren't a fraction as consistent as Paxton was throughout the whole of his career.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Can't believe I forgot Streets of Fire, where he gets punched early on, and gets punched often. That's my one of favorite movies of all time, and I completely blanked that he's in it.

And Nightcrawler. And A Simple Plan. And Trespass. And One False Move.

Man oh man, the filmography this guy had.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Terrible news. Events like this always make one pause and reflect a bit. RIP and condolences to his family and friends.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I guess maybe he and Hunt buried the hatchet?

https://twitter.com/HelenHunt/status/835914377790304256

You know an actor was truly loved when pretty much everyone he ever met in the industry is posting tributes. Helen Hunt, Ron Perlman, Tom Hanks, Jenette Goldstein, etc. etc.

Paxton started out at the Roger Corman school of no-budget filmmaking with James Cameron. I believe he was a set-decorator or something or other. He knew his way around the craft for a while before breaking in as an actor. In an interview with the AV Club, Paxton admits he did a lot of uncredited second-unit directing on Navy SEALS, and I wouldn't be shocked if he helped Kurt Russell direct Tombstone off the books -- one rumor is that Russell specifically picked Cosmatos after Sly let him take over the Rambo set.

I always felt like part of the reason Paxton was such a big deal in the Cameron/Joel Silver-universe is that he knew production inside and out, and was a big contributor on the set. I'll also always love that for a year or two in the late '90s, he broke out of supporting work and became a real leading man -- people forget that Twister was the second-biggest movie of 1996, and actually made more money than Tom Cruise's Jerry Maguire.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
What more can I add? I too, was a bit shocked that Bill was 61, and that he's left us! I especially loved him in TWISTER (1996) and TITANIC (1997). One of my favorite lines of Mr. Paxton's from the latter Film was his famous "I never got it, I never let it in" regarding the human element behind that profoundly sad, nautical tragedy (At least, that's my interpretation.). Just observe the sadness in his eyes and his voice when he says this.

As an aside, Bill Paxton seemed to be aging in graceful Robert Redford sort of way. What a shame his life was cut short! My condolences to Bill's wife and family, and friends. May he Rest in Peace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks