What's new

RIP Anita Mui (1 Viewer)

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
source: orientaldaily.com.hk

Recently confirmed to be diagnosed with cervical cancer, the "ever-changing diva" Anita Mui, passed away in Yeung Wo Hospital in Hong Kong. She was 40. According to sources, Anita's condition got worse after filming a cosmetics commercial in Japan. Soon after the filming, she went to Yeung Wo Hospital for treatment. She was in a short coma starting from a few days ago. Last night, as soon as her ailing illness spreaded in the news, her good friends and disciples quickly went to the hospital. Her "godbrother" Nicholas Tse went into a halt from his promotion in Shenzhen City and rushed (yeah...he drove fast again) to the hospital to visit her. Last night, Anita's assistant Marianne came to deny these rumours but her reddened eyes couldn't hide the fact that she was crying beforehand.

(translation: tinlunlau)

Anita Mui passed away due to illness, funeral home discussing funeral plans
(30/12 Tuesday 04:43)

Singer/Actress Anita Mui passed away due to cervical cancer, causing the functions of her lungs to undergo loss of control around 2:50am (hong kong time) in Yeung Woh Hospital. She was 40 years old. Around 30 to 40 friends in the entertainment industry including Jackie Chan, Alan Tam, Eric Tsang and etc visited her for one last time before she died. Funeral plans are being discussed at the moment and will be revealed once they are decided. Jackie Chan said that before Anita got a visit with all of her friends before passing away and left peacefully. Eric Tsang said when her illness got worse, she left with a smile. Alan Tam stated that Hong Kong is in a tough situation and hopes that his film and music fans will be able to learn to have Anita's determination.

(translation: tinlunlau)

For the uninitiated, Anita Mui is known stateside in movies with Jackie Chan's "Rumble In the Bronx" as Elaine, and in "Legend of the Drunken Master" as Jackie's stepmother.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Sad news she was only 40. I liked her in quite a few HK action films including
Heroic Trio 1-2, Moon Warriors and Saviour of the Soul. RIP :frowning:

Nick C.

Second Unit
wow what a stunner, it seemed so recently that she was doing Zhang Yimou's wuxia epic Shi Mian Mai Fu

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
This is really sad news. I regret that I didn't go the last time she performed in Atlantic City. A beautiful and very talented woman. She will be missed.

Matt

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
To those who have kept up with her news, this was the day we don't want to materialize. Anita Mui was devastated by the suicide of one of her best friends, Leslie Cheung, from earlier this year. Add to that, her older sister also died from cancer several years back. More than just an actress, she was probably the most popular female pop singer in HK for much of the 80s and 90s. To be on top for so long in both music and movies is a testament to not only her talents, but also her determination to be the best at what she does. RIP Anita....I will be listening to your "Soaring Above The Stage" album from 1984.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
WOW this is a HUGE shock- and a very sad one.

i went thru a phase with HK movies about 10 yrs ago, and quickly fell in love with Anita.
she was my favorite.
- a very classy presence on screen.

so young.
:frowning:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Very sad news. One of the greats in HK films capable of many different types of roles and a good singer as well.
R.I.P. Anita

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
The untimely passing of Anita Mui has been HUGE news in Hong Kong over the past few days, to say the least. She was one of the most visible entertainment celebrities in Hong Kong for the last 20 years, and the only untimely passing I can equate this to was the passing of Selena some years ago. :frowning:

Sing Tao Daily, the most popular Chinese-language newspaper in Hong Kong--had a twelve-page full-section writeup of her death and career in Wednesday's USA editions.

Tin-Lun Lau

Stunt Coordinator
i remember trying to buy a newspaper the day after she died. they were sold out. all i could buy was a copy of The Toronto Star and even they had a big section on Anita.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
I liked her. She was very funny in the Drunken Master movie. She looked very much like my favourite Taiwanese actress Wu Chien Lien and played her sister in Eighteen Springs. I think people thought they were real sisters.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I'm often more saddened by the deaths of Hong Kong celebrities than I am over the deaths of Hollywood celebrities, if only because of the sheer volume of their work, and the size of their paycheques, in comparison to their western counterparts. Just try to name a western film star who made as many movies, or a pop singer who recorded as many albums by the time they were 40, as Anita Mui and her ilk outside of that city. Same goes for Leslie Cheung and most of the others (living and dead). These celebrities WORK for a living, and EARN the adoration. It's little surprise American studios and record labels don't know what to do with them: their work ethic alone puts American celebrities to shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks