What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
As one of the greatest directors to ever work in Hollywood, John Ford had a natural gift for storytelling that stretched back to the silent era; as a result, he is still the only director in Hollywood history to win 4 Oscars in the Best Director category. He is also best known for his longtime association with actor John Wayne; Rio Grande – the finale of the director’s “Cavalry Trilogy” – is one of their finest works together. Previously released on Blu-ray by Olive Films, the company has revisited the title with a new Blu-ray release as part of their Olive Signature line.

Rio Grande (1950)

Released: 15 Nov 1950
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 105 min

Director: John Ford
Genre: Romance, Western

Cast: John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, Ben Johnson, Claude Jarman Jr.
Writer(s): James Kevin McGuinness (screenplay), James Warner Bellah (Saturday Evening...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for this review.

I have to question your assertion that John Ford wanted to move on from Westerns. Certainly he wanted to make other types of movie as well, but he returned again and again to the Western. At that famous meeting of film directors
about signing a loyalty pledge where Cecil B DeMille was trying to oust Joseph Mankiewicz, when Ford stood up to speak he introduced himself by declaring "My name's John Ford. I make Westerns."

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for your fine review, but I have to agree with Robin that Ford didn't want to move on from westerns as he made this movie because he was really trying to secure financing for his pet project "The Quiet Man". Some of his best westerns came after Rio Grande, but he was one of those directors that made fine films across different film genres. He won the Oscar for Best Director four times, but not one was for a western. Granted, that result might be somewhat attributed to the industry prejudice against westerns.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
A grand total of three traditional Westerns have won an Oscar for best picture: Cimarron (1931), Dances With Wolves (1991) and Unforgiven (1992). No Country For Old Men (2007) also won for best picture, but was set in 1980. Ford's contemporary, Howard Hawks, was similarly ignored.

Reggie W

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This was one of a couple of titles that got severely delayed on the way to me. I should have it quite soon though and look forward to watching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Experience111