What's new

Rio Bravo Blu Ray only plays on Center Channel (1 Viewer)

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
Hello,

I have a PS3 hooked to my Yamaha RXV2400 with an optical cable, and have had no trouble with any of the lossy codecs, sound being quite acceptable.

I recently purchased Rio Bravo on Blu Ray and it is listed as having dolby digital 1.0. When I play it, I get sound only from the center channel speaker. I have played DD 1.0 movies before, and I am able to manipulate my soundfields to get sound out of more than one speaker out of 5.1!!

Can anyone confirm that this is all I am supposed to get?

Thanks.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
With "Pro Logic" from your receiver and the audio that´s "1.0 mono" or "2.0 mono", you´ll get the "true Mono-sound", which means that the audio comes in the "front center" channel only. That´s just normal. Mono is what it´s: One channel.

If you choose "Stereo" from your receiver (with the audio that´s "1.0 mono" or "2.0 mono"), you´ll get that same Mono-audio from the both "front left" and "front right" channels.

I´m sure, that there are some other settings that you can choose from the certain receivers - that can spread the Mono-track e.g. to all 5 speakers, but do you really want that (e.g. same dialogue coming from all speakers etc)?

Mono is "mono" and 5.1 is "5.1". It just depends what audio track is included in the DVD/Blu-ray...

With some receivers and settings you probably can get that Mono-track from "more than one speaker", but like you put it yourself; it´s just "manipulating" the sound for your own personal needs. It´s not how that Mono-track is meant to be heard. I would use "Pro logic" (="front center" channel ONLY) or "stereo" (=same Mono-track from the both "front left" and "front right" speakers)..

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Depending on your receiver, you might have more than one "mono" setting. Mine has Mono and Mono Movie (I can't remember which one I have programmed as the default [my receiver display is not visible from the seating area]--one of them gives me just the centre channel--the one I prefer--and one gives me a signal from all the speakers, but it's not a "surround"--the front three speakers have the mono signal and the rears offer a kind of ambience. This would probably be my preferred option if my room was large (it would mimic the reverb/soundfield size for a large theatre) but I have a small room and the centre-only option works best to me.).

Gralen

Stunt Coordinator
I have a yamaha 1300. Have you tried just switching it to pro logic ii. on the bottom of you remote where the varies dsp modes are, there is a button that says movie theater 2. I think if that button dosent work it is the button mark 10 or 11 at the bottom of the remote. I had that mono movie one time and I heard it in 5.1 after I press number 11. I done it on 10 too. hope it helps

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I'm not sure what you're saying. (I know there's a smilie and it likely means if I had an actual theatre I would worry about my receiver's processing, but...)

If my room were larger, I'd want to use the setting that fills the room with sound (so it would not seem like a tiny speaker all on its lonesome). But my room doesn't need more than the one speaker to present a mono soundtrack.

(and if I'm really not getting the joke, I apologize for being dense--playoff hockey on the west coast is cutting into my sleep :D )

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sorry -- I was joking that if you had a large room you wouldn't need to simulate a large room. Not my greatest comic moment.

I WISH playoff hockey were cutting into my sleep, but I don't get Versus and the local NBC affiliate would rather show infomercials than hockey games. :angry:

On the other hand, I'm quite stoked that the Bruins aren't getting swept. ;)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
But they've run into yet another hot rookie goaltender for the Habs, so they're only delaying the inevitable.

Funny story about "sweep"--in a local French language daily, the following bit was reported (I have liberally translated and summarized--the lines from Neely and the Habs fan are about spot on, though):

The Bruins were arriving on a bus (presumably from the airport) and two Habs fans in their shirts, face paint and equipped with brooms started making sweeping motions in front of the bus as it pulled up to the curb. The first guy off the bus was Cam Neely (notorious to Habs fans as the one Bruin who struck fear into Patrick Roy and who, essentially single-handedly, won a few (very few if we consider the 23-7 record in favour of the Habs ;) ) series in the late 80s/early 90s for the Bruins). He storms up to one of the guys with a broom and says to him, "How'd you like it if I stuck that f***in' broom up your..." and the guy, without flinching, looks him straight in the eye and answers "you might at least wait until tomorrow night's game is over, first". Neely, impressed with his response, burst out laughing and agreed to pose for a few pictures with the guys.

Too bad the Bruins drew Montreal in the opening round. If they'd drawn anyone else, they would have had a much better chance of advancing. At least Thomas seems to have gotten "his game" back. I don't anticipate another 13 victories in a row. But I do anticipate one tomorrow night. (sorry...not really ;) )

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

There, I fixed it (no Hab, fan or player, ever looked Neely in the eye without flinching. . . 'cept maybe Nilan or Kordic). :laugh:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Respect/Pity - Something is always lost in translation. Translation from Bruin to Hab, that is. I have no doubt the translation from French to English is spot on. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kcuster50
Recent bookmarks