Rio After Dark: Superb SACD from Ana Caram

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, May 5, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Friends,

Chesky Records has just released one of my favorite albums from their catalog in Super Audio.

Ana Caram's Rio After Dark is a fun, different sounding album that transports one to the tropics. I first listened to this CD as I bought my first stereo system of Adcom gear and Polk speakers.

If you like Brazilian music with good guitar, percussion and vocals, I highly recommend this title. My favorite cut is the very dynamic Viola Fora De Moda which uses a variety of rainsticks and other percussion in a deep soundstage. Great for showing off your system but musically very interesting!

Guest musicians are a who's who of latin names: Paquito D'Rivera, Cafe on percussion, Antonio Carlos Jobim on tracks 3 & 7, Steve Sacks on flute (those in the know know that Steve is buddies with David Byrne and has played in his bands), David Finck (a great bass player and long-time Chesky contributor) and even David Chesky on piano, in addition to the talented Ana Caram on guitar and vocals.

My favorite tracks are the Viola (#4) and Alagoas (#2) and La Cumbia (#6).

A note about the sonics...this was originally recorded in PCM way back in 1989 using minimalist miking techniques. I don't know how the SACD was made but it is likely from the PCM source. I believe David also made an analog tape, so it is possible that the tape was transfered by pure DSD through Chesky's Meitner converters.

Well in any event, this is one of my better PCM-based Super Audio recordings (out of around 150 in my collection). The midrange and highs are clear. The sound is a little soft reflecting the mics used at the time at Chesky but not real noticable in terms of distraction. The soundstage on this recording is superb with a few Left to Right sound effects throughout.

Check it out if you like latin pop and jazz...[​IMG]

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Lee, I was wondering about this title!

I've got the other Chesky Ana Caram SACD, BLUE BOSSA, and it's certainly one of the finest, most natural sounding studio recordings in my collection. Have you heard this one?

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Rich, I have both. BLUE BOSSA is definitely the better sounding disc, hands down. However, RIO AFTER DARK is an awfully intresting album to me because it has Antonio Carlos Jobim on 2 tracks. Ana sings some in English on RIO AFTER DARK. I like her better singing in Portuguese myself but there's more English. Chesky, himself, wrote several, 2 or 3 (?), of the songs on RIO AFTER DARK. His songs all sound very Jobim-ish to me. I'm not implying that's a bad thing, just an observation. Jobim or Jobim-ish is purr-dy good-e in my book. Me, I'd buy more Caram SACD's if they come out. I never get tired of the Brasilian sound. I think I like BLUE BOSSA for purely Ana, but RAD for the quests including guru Jobim, of course, and Riveria. [​IMG] for RAD! Best wishes!

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Thanks for the heads up Lee. I will keep my eye out for this disc on one of my future disc buying trips.

J

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee