Ringtones: Where do you all get them?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael D. Bunting, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Howdy all!

I recently purchased a new cell phone (Sony Ericsson Z520A) and switched from T-Mobile over to Cingular for a provider.

I'm now looking to download a couple ringtones for it.

Looking for something that does not require a monthly membership fee....and is just one flat rate, per song.

I looked at jamster.com...and wasn't that impressed by the deal there ($5.99 a month for 2 songs).

What are your recommendations?

Many thanks!

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

For years, I've used matrixm.com There's some free stuff as well as pay stuff on there.

I used to have a free site, something called "mobile heaven". It had a ton of free ringtones on it.

Sometimes your provider also has a nice selection of ring tones.

I use either a data cable or a mini-SD card(I change my phone a lot, so it varies).

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I just use audacity on my computer to cut my mp3s to the length I want...usually 15seconds or less, and then transfer them to my phone.

4. Brent T

Brent T Second Unit

Kyle,

Forgive my ignorance but could you please explain how you do this.

Thanks

5. James T

James T Screenwriter

I have a mp3 trimming program as well. Just cut down the mp3 from megs to kbs, just long enough for a ringtone. Then to transfer it to from PC to phone, you can do it in several ways. The easiest and cheapest is through a datacable. Some phones come with a cable, but no software, which make it useless. Infrared is also another way, but way too slow. I haven't uploaded anything above 500kb b/c it would have taken too long. Bluetooth has pretty decent speed, but is very costly.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Or... if your phone has internet on it, and supports MP3 ringtones, find a MP3 file you like hosted someplace on the internet, (Wal-mart's 30 second song previews, for example) jot down the web address (can be rather lengthy), and enter that into your phone's web browser.

Once you go to that address on your phone, it should ask you if you want to save the MP3 file as a ringtone.

You're paying for the data usage on your phone.. but basically, it's free.

7. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

Just make sure you have a data plan with your phone if you d/l from the internet.

When wife got her new phone, she went and d/l a ringtone for 2.99, but the data usage (we did not know of that extra expense) came in at 4.99. so the total ringtone was $7.98!

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

check out 3gupload.com ... it's about 15 bucks for 6 months ... but you get *umlimited* downloads. not too shabby ....

9. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I just want to get the Twilight Zone theme for my phone. I don't want to spend however much to download the silly thing, only to have it expire after 2 months.

Of course, I have yet to FIND the Twilight Zone theme on ANY site.

Can anyone help on this one?

I know it is possible, because one time when my bro and I went out to lunch, another patron's phone rang with the Twilight Zone theme.

10. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

My phone plays mp3s natively as ringtones. So I just make my own edits with Goldwave. Right now, I'm using Green Day's "Basket Case" as my ringtone. It just seems appropriate, when certain friends call, that my phone screams:

Do you have the time
    To listen to me whine
    About anything and nothing
    All at once

Lol. [​IMG]

11. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I make my own, using a program called 'psmplay' to convert (and tweak) midi files, then transfer them to my phone via a little itty bitty WAP server I ginned up.

12. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Same here...using Audacity (freeware) to cut and edit mp3s to make ringtones for my SE P800.

13. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Cingular offers a pretty decent selection. I've got the Psycho theme for mine.

14. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Lynda-Marie,

Is this like the tune you're looking for?

Cees

15. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Bless you, Cees! [​IMG] Yes!!

16. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I got a couple ringtones from cingular (@ $2.49 each) and they only play the first second or so on my phone (setup as the ringtone) and they just loop that second over and over....

I got both of those ringtones credited to my account...but I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong with these...

does anyone here have any solutions/suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Or, should I just try another download site and see if that works?

17. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Lynda-Marie,

You're welcome! [​IMG]

In fact, that's a very good choice for a ringtone. Well suited melody.

Cees

18. Peter Burtch

Peter Burtch Stunt Coordinator

I can't believe people actually pay for ringtones(!)

For the Z520, I suggest a combination of a blue tooth dongle and audacity for DIY. It's super easy. I think pricegrabber.com still has an inexpensive bluetooth dongle which after rebate is around $9.99.

-Pedro

19. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I use a MIDI editor and use the proprietary cable and software for my phone to upload. I use google to find the MIDI files or dip into my extensive collection. Right now my ringtone is King Crimson's "Frame By Frame". Cool.

20. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I have many tools to convert stuff to mp3, and my Motorola plays mp3's, but I don't have any software that I can use to transfer files to my phone through its USB port.

Anyone know of software for this purpose?

My phone model is the V220.