Ring to finish hole for projector in wall?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Maston, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Michael Maston

Michael Maston Auditioning

I have an LCD projector in a room adjacent to my theater. There is a hole in the common wall for the projector but it is just an unfinished cutout in the sheetrock right now. I'd like to find something like a metal ring that will finish the hole off in a clean way but so far haven't found what I need (or something that would work) at the local home improvement stores. Anyone have any sources or recommendations for where I could find something like this? It doesn't have to be metal per se, that's just the first thing that comes to mind but anything that will cleanly finish the hole and not stick out more than 0.5" or so from the wall would do.
    thx

2. greg jones

greg jones Stunt Coordinator

Have you looked into the trim rings that go around recessed lighting (can lights). I have heard of a couple of people using these as finish rings for their lenses.
    ------------------
    Greg

3. Michael Maston

Thanks Greg. Yes actually this was one of the first things I looked at but my home improvement center didn't really seem to have one that seemed appropriate for the task. Perhaps I just need to broaden my search in this area but I was hoping someone in the HT business would actually make something for this purpose.

4. James Mudler

James Mudler Stunt Coordinator

Try PVC. You can line the inside with felt or paint it flat black (sand with 220 grit sandpaper first). Also try flared ports. The stuff you see for ported enclosures, they make a nice trim ring too. Good luck
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

If I understand correctly you are looking for a simple cap and grommet to cover the rough cable hole. I've always had success finding these at Home Depot, usually in the section with parts for installing drawers and such. I use a number of them in my setup (although you can't see them as they're behind the rack and TV), consisting of a plastic cylinder (about 1 3/4" inner diameter, 3/4" deep) with a lip that sits over the edge of the hole maybe 1/16" thick, and a plastic cap that snaps into the top with a notch for the cable to pass through. The ones I have are Richelieu ("reesh-eh-leeoo") P/N BP60030 (SKU 7 73199 60037 4). Here are some pics:
    Top View
    Side View
    Label
    These are frequently used on desk tops for passing phone, computer, monitor cables etc. Available in black and white, and I believe different sizes as well. Dirt cheap at around $1.50 or so each (complete grommet and cap).
    Good luck.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."
    [Edited last by Jay Mitchosky on August 15, 2001 at 08:53 AM]

6. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Jay -
    That looks really promising. Do you happen to know whether they make them in larger diameters, say three or four inches? (Of course I can stop by Home Depot and find out for myself, but if you happen know off the top of your head....) :>)
    I have been planning to do something similar to what Michael has described (i.e., mount my projector in the next room for space and sound reasons), but had been holding off because I didn't want to leave an ugly unfinished hole, and I didn't want to get into a major drywall reconstruction effort (been there, done that; no thanks.). :>) If one of those Richelieu units is the right diameter, it should do the job neatly!
    Thanks -
    Burke

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I have seen larger ones, but the exact diameter I could not specify. Maybe 3" as you propose? Beyond that you might look into the custom PVC option suggested above.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    "No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
    My Home Theatre Pictures...
    "You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

8. Mike Gariepy

Mike Gariepy Stunt Coordinator

9. Michael Maston

Just to clarify I'm not looking for something to finish the hole for cables but for the hole that the projector image comes thru. I'm thinking 3.5" is too small. I'd say more like 5-6" for the hole and then a certain amount of flare from there around the hole. I'll check into the PVC option and see what I can find. I know I've seen a metal version in a HT store once when I lived in CA but everywhere I go here in WA has the projector in the same room as the screen.
    Thanks all for the advice!

10. James Mudler

Check out part number 260-401 at parts express it is 6"x6". If you need longer check out your local car audio stores for 6" port flares and you can attach any PVC lenth. I know JL audio makes 4" but has screw holes to mount to the encloure. Maybe ugly in your application.
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

11. James Mudler

Oh one more thing measure your lens diameter and maybe Parts Express will have the exact diameter port tube. Reason I mention is I have my LCD projector in a hush box and I am able to spin the port tube to adjust the foucs. Nice! Good luck
    ------------------
    Luke, I'm your father

12. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

James -
    Please tell us more about the "hush box". (That might be a reasonable alternative to exiling the projector to another room.) :>) How much does it quiet things down? How is ventilation handled? How big and bulky is it? How does it look?
    It occurs to me that with either a hush box (assuming the housing is opaque to IR) or a relocated-in-another-room projector, something needs to be done about the remote control -- either a wired one (my Sony has that as an option) or an IR repeater. Any suggestions on that?
    Thanks -
    Burke