RING. Scary? Any good? should I buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DannyS, Oct 12, 2001.

1. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Is this movie any good? Is it scary?
    worth buying?

2. richard plumb

richard plumb Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know how the movie differs from the TV series? My wife watched the series and found it very scary, but I don't know if the movie is basically a reworking of it - the story sounds the same.

3. Fred Galpern

Fred Galpern Agent

I watched the first 20 minutes or so of RING recently and found it to be slightly scary. Nice direction though. Keep in mind that I haven't been scared by anything in years. As a kid The Exorcist and even Alien terrified me but in recent years nothing grabs me as much. Isn't Spielberg remaking this in the US? Do you have any more info. on the series? I never heard of it.
    Another weird thing with the Ring DVD is that it won't play back in it's proper OAR on my APEX player. It plays back correctly in my PC player. Weird huh? I suspect it is a result of APEX being crap.

4. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I would say it's more creepy than scary. There are some images on the cursed videotape that don't make a lot of sense but are definitely willie-inducing. I rather liked it, but I'm more old-school horror than Friday the 13th type. Gorehounds might be bored since there's not much in the way of blood.
    Didn't even know there was a TV series, so someone else will have to take on that one.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

5. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

True, there isn't much at all in the way of gore, but it is a very gripping tale and methodically moves toward a wonderful conclusion. I enjoyed it very much. It's sequel was not quite the same caliber, despite coming from the same source. I hope to get a chance to screen the prequel next. All of this was from VHS from VCD so the quality was soooooo lacking, but, that being said, it still was an enjoyable movie for me.
    I have no information about the TV series, sorry.
    ------------------
    Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
    The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
    My DVDs

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Didn't know about a Prequel, whats it called?

7. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

The Prequel is known as Ring 0...there's actually another title as well, but it slips my mind at the moment.
    The creative team behind Ring and Ring 2 however were not involved with the prequel (made after Ring 2). I'm guessing that they saw the concept was running out and jumped ship. Perhaps due to that fact, most consider Ring 0 to be a pile of crap. (Haven't seen it or the sequel yet, my Ring 2 DVD from the UK is still somewhere over the Atlantic right now).
    Ring however is...just.....wow. Saw with a group of about 10 people in my HT the other night, lights out, pitch black and um...yeah....every single one of us was genuinely freaked out at least several times. Those who associate "scary movies" as gory or based around cyclical/predictable audience shocks (i.e. "Gee, she's walking through the woods alone, this must be a scary part Syndrome") will probably be quite (pleasently) surprised. Ring is not your typical modern scary movie, and that's a good thing! [​IMG]
    [Edited last by James Nguyen on October 12, 2001 at 09:50 AM]

8. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

The first Ring is quite effective horror mystery. It is best to watch without knowing much. Watch it late in 1 sitting.
    ------------------

9. Craig Chatterton

Craig Chatterton Stunt Coordinator

OK, you guys intrigued me. I finally found the DVD at Amazon.co.uk, but I'm wondering if this is available in the US or will I have to import it? If I import it, will it play on my Region 1 DVD player?
    ------------------
    Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

10. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

It is R0 but it is PAL, so you will need a player that can transcode PAL to NTSC. The Apex A600 and the Malata will do this fairly well.

11. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

The rights to this movie were in fact purchased by a major studio, so it may find its way onto a R1 DVD release. I can't recall which studio though...any of the experts on this film care to chime in?
    Unknown if they'd make any edits to it, dub jobs, etc etc.
    OR, you can get the Korean adaptation of the movie, Ring Virus, which is available as a R0 NTSC disc. [​IMG] I've heard it's so so, but nothing compared to the real McCoy.

12. Chris Xolotl

Chris Xolotl Second Unit

The Korean Version is called Ring Virus and is R0 (letterbox and full-frame). The only alternative if you onl have an R1 Player.
    Skip the Malaysian VCD w/ Eng Subs they are sinofied and impossible to understand. I had to get a script to read along to figure it out. Great sound though.
    I liked the Ring a little bit better than the Ring Virus. Same story, just licensed to Japan and Korea to make their own version of it. I heard once that it was to be remade by a US Company.

13. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

It was bought up by Dreamworks...but not for R1 release. It was reportedly bought up so that Spielberg could do his remake without competition from the original...you know, like MGM suppressed the silent (and much superior) Ben Hur so that it wouldn't reflect badly upon the Heston remake.
    ------------------
    "This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

14. tyler O

tyler O Stunt Coordinator

You beat me to the Dreamworks punch Mark. Kind of sad that studios feel that you don't need to see the original in order to try to make the re-make more effective. LPPPPPPPPTTTTTT [​IMG]
    What a waste of such a great film. The VCD was horrendous, but... The subtitles are funky and seem to have a sheen to them. Ring Virus was also on my to be viewed list. I'm sure I'll pry it out of Scott's hands soon.
    ------------------
    Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
    The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
    My DVDs