Ring release? (Note: Ring - not The Ring)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Reader, Dec 14, 2002.

1. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I understand that as well as owning the rights to their remake/reimagining 'The Ring' Dreamworks also hold the American distribution rights to the original 'Ring' motion picture.

Does anyone know if this will be released in R1? Or are Dreamworks likely to keep it in a vault to further their own film's success? (Why bother to compete with yourself?)

I ask, because although I have the Tartan R0 PAL release, it's rather shabby (the burnt in subtitles being hard to read for most of the film) and would like a superior copy.

2. Chris Hopper

Chris Hopper Agent

I myself would love to see it period since I don't have PAL equipment. [​IMG]

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

Chris, I suppose this is the next best thing: Ring Virus
    It's basically another adaptation of the original novel. Not sure about the quality - I've basically read mixed reviews of this film it seems to be a genuine 'love it or hate it' type of film. (Perhaps those who saw it before the Japanese 'Ring' had kinder words because they had nothing to compare it to?).
    Here's the IMDB link, but please note most people seem to have the film mixed up with the Japanese 'Ring' so it may not actually be that helpful.
    I'm tempted to buy this myself... but haven't so far. I would prefer to get a better copy of the original.

4. Tom Tsai

Tom Tsai Supporting Actor

I read in Time Magazine a while back and they said that due to the success of The Ring, they'll also release the original Ringu on DVD next year. They also said that they would like to work on a sequel.

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

My brother found Ring 1, 2 and 3 on DVD in a shop in Manhattan. I'm sure they're probably godawful bootlegs or something. He's mailing them to me, so I suppose I'll find out.

6. Chris Hopper

Chris Hopper Agent

Thanks James. I will probably buy that. I find the greatest online retail stores on this forum[​IMG]

7. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I watched Ring, Ring 2, and Ring 0 back to back tonight. The DVD's my brother sent me are region 0, so they'll play on any player. Surprisingly, all three are in 16:9 anamorphic widescreen and display nicely on my Hitachi 43UWX10b. Ring and Ring 2 are Japanese 2.0 sound with burned in English subtitles, and Ring 0 is Japanese 2.0 sound with player-generated subs. The black levels on the first two are solid, if maybe a little dark. Black level on Ring 0 is too high, making the entire movie look washed out. Other than that, these are nice looking discs, considering.

Audio is surprising. With Dolby Pro-Logic II movie mode, these discs probably have more coming out of the surrounds than any 2.0 mix I've heard. It sounds remarkably close to an actual 5.1 mix, including some nice voice placement in the surrounds.

All three discs are distributed by some outfit called "Unit World Movie Inc." I can find out where in New York my brother bought these if anyone is interested.

8. Philip Klein

Philip Klein Stunt Coordinator