1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ring Pro Doorbell

Discussion in 'Home Automation, Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by DaveF, Aug 20, 2016.

1. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    Absolutely. You'll be glad you did later in the game.

If you're thinking of getting outdoor cameras you may be better off hiring a pro. I'm considering this myself as well. I'm not a fan of the battery operated models. Since these are security cameras, I need to know they will always have power and connectivity.

I would also skip the WiFi thermostats and plan on adding something more robust such as a Z Wave controller.

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Since you mentioned video doorbell, I’ll mention we have a ring, which is ok, sort of. I don’t think it’s compatible with anything like Apple’s Homekit. It’s useless to use to see who’s at the door. By the time you bring up the app the video is live, sort of, and 10 seconds or more into whatever’s going on. So when we get the motion alert, we just go to the door.

When we’re away from home and get the motion alert, bring up the app and video, the event is over. We can view the video from the beginning but have to wait at least 2 minutes until it’s saved to there server before we an view it. Ring doesn’t work as well as the commercials show.

When buying other smart home devices, check to see if they require their own bridge. A lot of stuff wants it’s own bridge. So far we’ve got some Lutron light switches, Hunter fans, and Alexa (which we don’t take enough advantage of) and all use Apple Homekit.

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  5. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
  6. JQuintana

JQuintana Banned
    BANNED

Me
    Peephole idea is great but wouldn't work for us since we use a locking "screen door" storm door and it stays locked unless we are having guests stop by so any random person couldn't ring it.

7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    You are. It's a self contained unit that goes THROUGH existing peepholes, allowing appartment dwellers to install on their own doors and later replace those units when they leave. It's battery powered rather than house current like the doorbell.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Is it a conventional, lens peephole? They’re not really clear on what’s digital camera and what (if anything) is dumb lenses.

Sam Posten likes this.
  9. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    It's both. Optical lens peephole on top, going through the door. Camera lens below. Ring button on bottom.

DaveF likes this.
  10. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    John,

Have you tried wifi thermostats? I have a NEST thermostat that I freaking love and has given me zero issues. Just added two exterior cameras and am as happy as a clam with their performance (no batteries - hard wired to power). Nest Doorbell is next up....

Regards,
    Chris

11. John Dirk

John Dirk Cinematographer
    Supporter

JOHN
    Hey Chris

I have not [tried WiFi] but do a little reading and you'll see that WiFi is not the preferred standard for home automation. ZWave and Zigbee are both more secure.

12. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

I continued to have issues with my Ring doorbell. I upgraded my WiFi router several months ago and that helped a bit but it didn't completely solve the problem. The problem being.... The Ring app on my iPhone (which is a very fast XS model now) simply wouldn't load and display video quickly enough to actually answer the ring. By the time the Ring app was fully loaded with video displayed, the person that rang the bell had already walked away.

This was not an issue at all when I first got my Ring doorbell in 2016. But as the Ring increased in popularity, apparently Ring's servers got more and more bogged down. It has been a source of frustration for well over a year now.

Then the last straw came along... This article went viral 4 days ago:

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/10/amazon-ring-security-camera/

Ring has allowed its employees to watch customer's videos. Presumably, complete with sound. And those employees also have full access to the customer database so it is trivial for the employee to look up a specific customer by name and then watch their recorded videos. Holy cow, talk about a privacy violation!

I know, I know... a lot of what the Ring records is inconsequential. But, in the last 3 years, I've had dozens of conversations with friends and neighbors at my front door. Ring recorded them all. And Ring employees can go watch those videos at their leisure?

Uh, no thanks!

I removed our Ring doorbell and Ring chime the same day. I was careful to delete them from the Ring app before uninstalling them (deleting them from the Ring app also deletes the videos associated with that doorbell from your account, or so Ring says). I returned the Ring doorbell and chime to Costco, they were happy to give me a full refund. $195 (including tax) back on my credit card.

When it becomes available, this is what I plan to try next:

https://www.netatmo.com/en-us/security/doorbell

No cloud. No monthly service fees. The videos are stored locally, on a microSD card. It works similarly to how my Q-See surveillance system works (local storage, no cloud). And the Netatmo doorbell will be HomeKit compatible. It can be configured to turn on lights or activate other HomeKit devices when it detects motion at the front door.

Go screw yourself, Ring!

Mark

Peter Apruzzese likes this.
  13. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    You returned for full refund a Ring that you’d bought two years ago? Is that Costco policy, no limit on returns?

14. Mark Booth

Supporter

I purchased it almost 3 years ago. Costco's return policy is VERY liberal. I expected them to give me some hassle because it's an electronic item and Costco's return policy on consumer electronics is 90 days. However, when the associate found the item in my account (I didn't have the receipt) and she entered the SKU, she said that it wasn't part of the consumer electronics category and she could return it without even calling a supervisor.

I didn't have the box or instructions either. I returned the doorbell, the chime, and the special screwdriver in a ziplock bag. Absolutely no hassle at all. When I showed the article (linked above) to the associate she acted happy to return it.

Mark

Johnny Angell, JQuintana and DaveF like this.
  15. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I see one problem for me regarding the Netatmo: it required a wired doorbell hookup. It connects to WiFi, so why does it require a wired hookup? My house never had a wired doorbell so installation of this would be a chore.

16. JQuintana

JQuintana Banned
    BANNED

Me
    Would it be for power source to the bell?

17. Mark Booth

Supporter

I don't think the Netatmo has a battery back-up source for power. Not sure about other areas of the country but every home I've ever lived in here in San Diego (including apartments) has had a wired doorbell.

Mark

18. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Power. Also the ability to directly ring the mechanical bell if you have one. Ring Pro is the same way, uses house wiring for power rather than running off a battery.

My Ring Pro works well. It’s great for tracking deliveries.

These privacy violations are worrisome. I need to learn more.

19. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Our house-builder did everything he could to cut corners. Including putting in a wireless doorbell to save installing the wiring and hooking up to power.

20. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I also have this problem with the Ring. When at home, we don’t bother to look at our phone, we just go to the door. The only time we use the phone app is when we are away from home.