Premium
Senior HTF Member
Stay classy, @USPS =/

doh.gif

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I put up a ring floodlight a few weeks ago and have been very happy with it. I plan on adding a few ring cameras in the next few weeks as well.
I’m intrigued but don’t understand how I’d change the batteries on a regular schedule. Is yours hardwired or battery powered?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I’m intrigued but don’t understand how I’d change the batteries on a regular schedule. Is yours hardwired or battery powered?

The floodlight is hardwired. It replaces an existing outdoor light with a floodlight/camera combo. They have standalone cameras that can either be hardwired for power, or be battery operated with or without a solar charger.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Here is a a shot from the floodlight during both the day and night (with floodlight on) so you can see the difference.

Day:
ring day.JPG

Night:
ring night.JPG

The standalone cameras have an integrated light, but I don't think its a bright as the floodlight.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Wait until Amazon takes photos of you bringing your mistress home for a nooner and blackmails you for the money they know you have.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I replaced our WiFi router a few months ago and our Ring doorbell has behaved a little better since then. But, still, I would not buy a Ring doorbell again. It simply takes TOO LONG for the video stream to get started on my iPhone. Even if I'm holding the iPhone in my hand (unlocked) when the notification arrives, by the time the Ring app auto-launches and the video stream is finally running, the person at the front door is usually gone. In a couple years of ownership I've only actually talked to someone at my front door maybe twice. In every other instance they were gone by the time the app was ready to let us talk to each other.

If I didn't already have a (superior) video surveillance system then the Ring doorbell could make more sense for us. It would at least let us know there was someone at the front door. But our Q-See system notifies us just as fast as the Ring, sometimes faster.

Mark

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I have several inside cameras but have wanted to add an outside camera that could reliably capture front door activities for some time now. For better or worse, I'm fully invested in Samsung devices. In fact, the only IOS device I own is a [company issued] iPhone. I've considered the Ring but didn't like the idea of yet another app I'd have to deal with in order to view/manage my cameras. If I could add the Ring to my Samsung Smartcam + app it would likely already have been purchased but, of course, I know that sort of inter-operability is considered sacrilege in the competitive tech world. Tech companies need to rethink their closed approach. There's plenty to go around.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have several inside cameras but have wanted to add an outside camera that could reliably capture front door activities for some time now. For better or worse, I'm fully invested in Samsung devices. In fact, the only IOS device I own is a [company issued] iPhone. I've considered the Ring but didn't like the idea of yet another app I'd have to deal with in order to view/manage my cameras. If I could add the Ring to my Samsung Smartcam + app it would likely already have been purchased but, of course, I know that sort of inter-operability is considered sacrilege in the competitive tech world. Tech companies need to rethink their closed approach. There's plenty to go around.

My wife wants a video doorbell. She may eventually want an outdoor camera or two. And I'm thinking about a wifi thermostat. It's probably a good idea for me to be thinking big-picture about this right? (Right now I'm leaning towards the Nest product line.) But I figure it's GOT to be an advantage to keep all these types of products in the same universe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks