Ring box

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by SethH, Apr 7, 2004.

1. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Hello everyone. I'm getting engaged very soon. I just recently got the ring after having a loose stone set and I think the ring is incredible! However, the ring box it came in leaves a lot to be desired. I am looking for a classy-looking wooden ring box (similar to the ones at BlueNile). But I can't seem to find one. Can anyone direct me toward something like I'm looking for? I don't won't to spend a ridiculous amount of money on one, but I would consider spending $50-60 if it's nice. Please help ASAP!!!

Thanks.

EDIT: BlueNile will refuses to sell just one of their boxes.

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    You are supposed to keep the ring on a necklace of mithril.

3. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Trust me, she will not care about the box. She will not even look at the box when she sees that nice, sparkly, glittering, expensive rock.[​IMG] When I asked my fiance to marry me, she didn't even remember what I said, she was so focused on the ring.

So IMO don't worry about a box. Do something creative with the ring instead of giving it to her in a box. Here is how I did it.

Got to her house before she woke up. Put roses on her bed as she slept. Waited for her to wake up and follow the trail of roses that I put down that led to where I was. Had the ring tied to the last rose sitting next to me. When she picked the last rose up, she finally noticed it had the ring on it. I got down on one knee and asked her. I went on to say some words that she don't even remember because she was so shocked and surprised.

Jon

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I didn't use a box either. My wife likes My Little Ponies. I found a Bridal Pony from the mid-80s, still in it's original box. That pony came with a plastic ring, that either the pony or the child could wear. I opened the box, used an xacto knife to slice the blister pack open and replaced the plastic ring with my wife's engagement ring. We went on a trip, and I gave her the pony as a birthday gift over dinner. It took her a minute to realize that the pony had a real ring, but when she did, I asked her to marry me.

She still has the pony, still in the box, with the exception of the ring.

Happily ever after, and all that.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I like your ideas, but I think the box is important in this case. I think it's a little boring and traditional, but she has mentioned to me at some point something about how rings and other nice jewelry should always be presented in a box because it makes the jewelry look so much better. So I figure this is all to make her happy, so if she wants the box she gets the box.

6. Jon_Gregory

Jon_Gregory Stunt Coordinator

Here is one. Simple nice solid wood box.

http://shop.certiport.com/Shop/Contr...34757/vpcsid/0

Just trust me on what I said ealier. If she has no idea that you are going to ask her, and she is a typical girl, the box will not matter in this situation. The box will be put away or thrown out after that day and never to be seen again. I can see where normally, when giving a woman jewelry, that the box makes a difference. But not when giving her an engagement ring.

But don't let us talk you out of what you want to do. This is your ring and your day to shine. So do what you feel will make her happy. I am just speaking from my experience.

Good Luck, I know I was nervous as hell leading up to when I asked her.

Jon

7. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Limoge. These can vary wildly in pricing. And the ‘average’ is closer to the range somewhat of 80 to 200 but look for a discount boutique in your area who carries the “Limoge” boxes. These are long tradition collectibles, which come in every imaginable size shape and theme. Animals/Flowers/Holidays/Sports etc. Almost always hinged for use as a ‘box’ French porcelain. In the more expensive sometimes a box within a box. (paddles inside a canoes hinged lid etc) although the boxes with extras inside are the more expensive.

I have a boutique in this area called “Tuesday Morning” which often carries a selection of Limoge’s at a great discount. Some starting at 35 dollars up to hundreds for the more elaborate (still a discount).

Here’s a box which has a nice look which would probably hold a ring, - to give you an idea.
    I have a limoge box which is tiny and perfectly holds my ‘good’ diamond ear studs, where I store them when not being worn.
    http://store.limoges.com/5254.html

I imagine with some luck and a little hunting or phoneing, - you can find one the proper size with a theme suitable to her personal likes. If she loves rabbits, turtles, sports, there will be some-where a limoge with that theme, its incredible how many choices. There are many web sites to check, but be careful when shopping on the web due to the high number of forgery’s and knockoffs of Limoge on the market. A reputable local discount boutique where you can try out the ring to see if it nestles in (with room to close the lid). - would be your best bet. If you have the time for shopping!
    Good Luck and congrats!!

PS, you can find a box for anyone. For example if I was to give one to Jack Briggs [​IMG] : http://store.limoges.com/space.html

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Put the ring in an $800 OOP Criterion Collection SALO' DVD box. that'll wow her with your style and your movie-watching savy. [​IMG]

9. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

She may say that now, but if its an engagement ring and its not really something you have discussed in detail like "hey, buy me this ring and give it to me next week" then the likely result will be that she could care less about the box until after some time has passed.

Plus, that ring won't be leaving her hand after that point. My wife hated giving it up even for the wedding band matching/fitting.

My experience with the box was that it was TOO BIG and was difficult to keep concealed until the right moment at dinner.

Oh, and I could barely get my wife to acknowledge the ring because I put the proposal on her birthday cake and she just locked in on that and freaked out, so she damn sure wasn't thinking about the box. I had to literally say "it comes with a ring too" to get her attention on the ring. [​IMG]

Not that considering your soon-to-be-wife's likes/dislikes isn't important, but don't let her fool you with her calm rational comments now since she sure as hell won't likely be in that state when the ring comes out. [​IMG]

How the box affects your proposal plans is way more important than how the ring will look in it when you give it to her.