What's new

RIM introduces it's tablet.. the PlayBook (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Saw the tv ad touting the Playbook's movie and videogaming bona fides. And multitasking features. After which my wife asked why you'd want your video to keep playing in the background while you do something else?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
/Whistles innocently...

Originally Posted by Sam Posten

You guys do know who I work for, right?

You think you have beauracracies where you work? We invented them.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/federal-government-loosens-its-grip-on-the-blackberry/2011/05/27/AG7wW1EH_story.html

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I read that article. It's filled with crazy talk about efficiency, being able to hire bright, young employees, and making the employee happy (instead of the corporate buyer). I think it's some sort of subversive satire. It doesn't represent any sort of major gov't-driven bureaucracy I know.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
If I was RIM, I'd be writing my last will and testament right now. If the most sclerotic bureaucracy of all -- the Feds are starting to give the BlackBerry the heave-ho RIM is in for a world of pain.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will remain hopeful that someone with a decent keyboard phone survives. :) I spent the weekend with a new Android (an Infuse 4G), and damn, I still hate touch screens. Too slow, WAY to slow to shoot out any real email on. I still haven't found a touch screen that's worth a damn for what I care about. I really don't care about apps, don't need or want.. but the ability to manage email is A #1 crucial.. and I haven't found any of them with an email client or means to do email I thought was worth a darn.

But putting RIM aside, the only thing I saw in that article that made me go "Really" is the move to put racks of government employees on Gmail. Wow. Just.. yeah. If that really happens, more then RIM, that's an insane blow to IBM/Lotus Domino, which held it's last real hold up in the government, where it has been a steadfast forever. I mean, you can talk about "this kills RIM" but it really screws IBM/Lotus in a big way if a huge amount of mail goes the way of Google.

But it's also something where I'm not so sure how I feel about that from a security standpoint.. outsourcing mail storage to Gmail accounts... I'd be very interested in how they manage to work that part out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Google does corporate-centric email, don't they? Gmail for the Feds wouldn't be the same ad-driven, mass-market email system that I use, no? At risk of being simple-minded, wouldn't they "simply" run Gmail on servers segregated for that specific corporation (or gov't agency) similar to any other offsite email hosting company? It's said that Google is also getting into the gov't image acquisition & analysis business; they are developing Federal Contracting chops, it seems. Email seems a no-brainer for them.

And anything that kills Lotus is OK by me. We've still got some Lotus Notes detritus clinging for dear life for one or two business apps. What a dismal tool. I can't believe we were using it for email up until a few years ago.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
DaveF said:
Google does corporate-centric email, don't they? Gmail for the Feds wouldn't be the same ad-driven, mass-market email system that I use, no? At risk of being simple-minded, wouldn't they "simply" run Gmail on servers segregated for that specific corporation (or gov't agency) similar to any other offsite email hosting company? It's said that Google is also getting into the gov't image acquisition & analysis business; they are developing Federal Contracting chops, it seems. Email seems a no-brainer for them.

And anything that kills Lotus is OK by me. We've still got some Lotus Notes detritus clinging for dear life for one or two business apps. What a dismal tool. I can't believe we were using it for email up until a few years ago.
Notes was always trash. But boy did the government hold onto Notes & Domino for their dear life. Even MS couldn't break them free to go to Exchange.. I'm sure it will be separate from standard email Google houses, but the fact that Google, not the government, is housing their data is the thing.. even IBM never got that far or pitched such a thing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I can vouch that you can't set up multiple devices with the same BES account.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
That sure explains a lot. And it would have been nice if RIM told the truth instead of coming up with a bunch of cockamamie excuses for not having mail. Or better:

Waiting until they had the multiple device feature implemented in BES and fixed some other stuff in the process and *then* shipped the Playbook. Now, fixing it after the fact won't help much -- it is a product with the stench of FAIL all over it. (Example: see Microsoft Zune -- the last version was apparently decent, but by then, no one was listening.)

What possible difference would have waiting a few more months have made? It's not like someone is running away with the "not an iPad" derby -- all of them are running straight into the ditch -- if you wish to rubberneck, see: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/20/samsungs-new-galaxy-tab-is-still-no-match-for-peerless-ipad2/

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by DaveF

http://www.businessinsider.com/email-on-blackberry-playbook-2011-6?op=1

Why the Playbook doesn't do email:

Does this ring true? Should one read Business Insider for tech news?

I don't know if that's new, that's what quite a few of us kind of suspected.. but it is a basic error in logic on their part; if they had waited to ship, I don't think it would have hurt them in the slightest.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Meh. http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/blackberry-bbx-announced-stub/ http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-20121961-94/rim-unveils-its-next-gen-mobile-os-bbx/ It's OPEN. We swear! devblog.blackberry.com/2011/10/open-source-playbook-os/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks