Right side volume louder than left side

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidBL, Feb 17, 2005.

1. DavidBL

DavidBL Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I'm trying to help my manager troubleshoot a problem he's having on his new HT setup. He bought a new Sony STRDE697 7.1 receiver and Bose 301 speakers (against my advice I might add). The problem is that when he tested a DVD last night he said that the right side audio (front AND rear) was noticably louder than the left side. I haven't actually seen his system but I downloaded the wiring panel diagram for his receiver and went over everything, and he appears to have hooked it up correctly. He uses an optical cable from the DVD player, and then sends the audio out to his 5 speakers via 14 gage wire (also verified he wasn't using surround back center or "room B" outputs on accident).

He said he checked the built in test tones and the volume was even and correct across the channels in that mode. The receiver does let you tweak the output of each channel independently, but I've usually only had to use that for fine tuning of the center channel or subwoofer, not leveling gross discrepancies from right to left like he's describing.

I've troubleshot a lot of A/V stuff before but I'm not sure quite what to tell him. Any ideas or tips appreciated!

Thanks,
    David

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Hmmmmm....

Is the room of uniform size/shape with no additional boundaries/objects or other items on the right side that could have an amplifying effect?

Also, check the speaker wires to make sure he's getting good contact on both sides and that he's got everything in phase, and perhaps switch out the optical cable (maybe try a coax instead).

3. John S

John S Producer

Are you sure, this particular DVD wasn't somehow mixed this way???? I have seen it. I don't see how you could tell if he really had it in DD 5.1 or DTS, the content is quite different at any given time in the two descreet channels.

if he had it in stereo, this could still be the way the DVD was mastered. Same effect when using the analog outs on it just for comparisons sake?

4. DavidBL

The room is basically a big "great room," with a double high ceiling and an arched entry on the right side into the kitchen/dining area. The left side is a solid external wall. There are stairs in the back going up.

I know he checked the speaker polarity, and I think he tried a couple of DVD's that had the same effect. I'll see if he has a spare coax cable to try instead of the optical.

5. Bryan Pape

Bryan Pape Auditioning

1. Did he check levels with a meter or just guess by ear?

2. A solid wall on one side and a big open arch on the other will absolutely cause a perceived difference in volume. One side is getting a lot of early reflections and reinforcement. The other side is not.

6. DavidBL

I'm sure he just checked by ear. I'll see if he can "tune out" the discrepancy by adjusting the relative output in the receiver.

7. DavidBL

Well, problem solved. It turns out that when I was going over the connection diagram with him, he mentally had it in his head that he had done it right based on what I was telling him, but then when he got home and actually checked, something was wrong ("an 'in' was plugged into an 'out', or an 'out' into an 'in,' or something like that"), so he switched to what I had told him and all was well.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. That's why I love this forum.

David