Right now I feel like a lousy bird owner.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Jun 5, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Yesterday I was walking around the house with one of my parakeets(budgies) that I keep in my room. Max(the parakeet) heard the 5 parakeets I keep in the dining room and tried to fly to the cage. Since he had his wings clipped, he couldn't get all the way there and one of my cats got him. Fortunately he didn't die, but the unfortunate part is that he got a wound and started to bleed. I immediately brought Max back to my room, stopped the bleeding, and cleaned the wound with rubbing alcohol. He seemed to be unfased by it all, even the cleaning part. Today he seems to be doing great. He's hopping around, eating, chirping, fluttering, arguing with his cagemate Watto, and other such parakeet behavoirs. I think and hope he'll pull through. I think he has a fighting chance, since I feed him well, keep his cage clean, and he has a buddy to help him pull through. I feel real bad and guilty right now that I let him get injured, even if it was by accident. I should have known better.

2. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

It would be best to have him checked by a vet. You just never know....

Good luck.

3. Rain

Rain Producer

I agree about the vet. Better safe than sorry.

But don't beat yourself up about it. Accidents happen.

4. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Bummer. We had a scary incident with one of our parakeets about a month ago. The little guy got out of his cage and came flying into the other room. Hit a window, bounced off, landed on the floor and the next thing we knew, the dog came tearing into the room after him. Thankfully, he managed to get himself airborne again before Mocha (our dog) got there, and I was able to grab the dog and hand her to my wife. Mocha wouldn't hurt the bird on purpose - she's just very lively and curious - but she would certainly trample him in trying to get a closer look.
    Thankfully we were able to catch him (after he ran into a few more windows and became disoriented), put him back in his cage and he's fine.
    I hope your bird will be OK. But like Rain said, accidents happen. Next time, just put the cat in another room. [​IMG]

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Get a new cat. Just kidding!

The fact that the cat drew blood is not a good sign though. Has the cat been taught not to harm the other family members yet?

Yeah, teaching cats may be tough...but I hope it is possible.

6. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Take him to the Vet ASAP. The same thing happened to a friend of mine. The cat got a hold of the bird and as a result the bird did get a small would. The bird seemed fine for a few days but than died. You never know how deep the wound is or the possibility of infection. Birds are well known for hiding illness. When it appears that the bird is ill it is to late. I've read that this is to hide illness from predators looking for a weakness and a quick meal. I have two cats and a cockatoo. He fly’s all over the house and has specific safe areas to land from the cats. Given an opportunity, my cats would love to pounce on him. I think that the bird teases the cats and plays a game of "you can't catch me" which seems to drive the cats crazy.