What's new

Right....finally ready for a PS2.....er.....I think. (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
...yes, definately...well...maybe. Arghhh. ;) The debate rages over my mind over a PS2 right now due to the fact that for the first time in YEARS, the PAL model has my interest, mainly for it's price.
You can grab a PS2 with GTA3 here for £216 now ($313). Some may not know, but often European games consoles, or rather their games are plagued by ugly black borders top and bottom of screen (not to be confused with widescreen let me add) and run a fair percentage slower than their NTSC counterparts.
Such problems can often be avoided when publishers take their time to code it for the PAL market, or in much of the Dramcasts case, when publishers offer a 60hz mode. I've heard some PAL PS2 titles have a 60hz mode, but it's not such a frequent feature as it was on the Dreamcast.
Still, I'm thinking at £216 with a game, it's foolish to pass up, and with a growing selection of titles that actually interest me (which most certainly was not the case a year ago), I think I am ready to go fot it.
A bunch of you guys are responsible for my owning (and loving) the Gameboy advance. So feel free to offer up "go for it" or "save your money" responses again. :)
Dan (UK)

ChrisV

Second Unit
Well, I'll post one for the "Go for it" side. At that price, and bundled with what I consider to be game of the year, you can't go wrong. You're right that there wasn't much to play a year ago, but now there are actually too many good games for the PS2. I simply don't have time to play them all. So, make sure you have lots of spare time, but don't hesitate to grab that system.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Have to give a "Go For It" here! I luuuuuv my PS2...I bought it at launch and was initially disappointed with the title selection, but now I can't keep up in buying all the games I want (and trying to balance time between those I have: GTA3, MGS2, etc.) Just a little context, I also have a Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, and a Dreamcast (mmmmmmmmm $10 games). No Xbox for me YET...I need there to be more than one game (Halo) I want to play before I dump that kind of cash for it.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
One small thing - after you mentioned this £216 deal recently I went into HMV in search of it; its back up to £219.98 again. You can buy most of the new titles (including Burnout with its 60Hz mode) at £10 or £20 off at the same time though, by the looks of it. Personally, I'm hanging on while I get my house and wedding sorted!

If you do get one, you might want to ask the forum how Batman Vengeance compares on this and the Cube- The PS2 version is only £20 at the moment in HMV.

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
I own a Playstation 2 and Im very pleased with it.

I don´t think you will regret it, once you bought it!

jens

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Iain, I can't say £4 more bothers me much. :) £20 for Batman? Darn it..... The Cube version is already on its way to me and delayed in the festive post.
Ok, so way to make me spend more money, HTF people. Should be PS2'd up within the coming weeks.
Dan (UK)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Got the console yesterday with a memory card, s-video cable, GTA3 and Agent Under Fire. Both games are just sucking all hours from my life, most notably GTA3. Good grief that game is worth the price of the console alone!

I am indeed very happy with the purchase and hope, since I got the PAL model, the majority of titles are as well converted to PAL as the two I purchased yesterday (I've heard PAL Devil May Cry is a joke however). I looked all around for Gran Turismo yesterday but nowhere had it, so I'll turn to Amazon for that one methinks later this week.

Dan (UK)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Dan-

Get Final Fantasy X when it comes out or at least rent it or play it at a friend's house or something. This game is AMAZING!!! Definitely another game that made my PS2 purchase worth it.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Oh that's on my BUY list, Morgan, dont you worry. Not out here until er, April I think is the date. Ugh!

Still, I'm having a lot of fun here, ran a playable Wipeout Fusion demo and enjoyed that a lot, brought back memories of the original. That's out at the end of the month, then the UK gets MGS2 in March, but I will be getting GT3, Jak & Daxter and a good few other back catalogue titles to keep me going.

Dan (UK)

DarrinH

Second Unit
Anyone have a remote idea of when or if a price drop of 50$ is coming to the US? I heard this happened in Japan at the end of last year.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When PS2 weekly sales are extremely low, maybe we'll see the price go down. As long as Sony is selling consoles, they want the price high.

paul h

Supporting Actor
Dan, i've played the US and UK versions of Devil May Cry and have no problems with the PAL. Think you should grab yourself Twisted Metal Black, great fun and a real blast in multiplayer!

Play247 do PAL games at reasonable prices with free delivery.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
Good God Dan old boy. I come back from holiday broke and you're still spending!? I Kill You ;)
Anywho, I recommend Devil May Cry big time going by that free demo I got with Resident Evil Code Veronica X (which is also pretty darn tootin)
Also, get off that PS2 and onto ICQ

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Pauls H and 0'Donnell,

All go on Devil May Cry then, chaps. Can always zoom the borders on my tv, but was just a tad concerned regarding the speed. Ok, good. Since EVERYWHERE is sold out of Gran Turismo that may be my next choice. Twister Metal Black also noted, have a demo of that on I think the latest PS2 magazine I have upstairs... Jak and Daxter also looks lovely!

Dan (UK)

paul h

Supporting Actor
If you like platformers dont hesitate to pick up Jak and Daxter, damn game has taken up far too much of my time lately :)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Paul, I'm big on platform/adventure titles, so J&D is right up there. I may get it tomorrow. Certainly getting one game tomorrow, probably Devil May Cry. If GT3 is in stock, probably that or both of em. :)
Dan (UK)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Well, after some shop hopping I found one lonely copy og GT3 and gave it a home... Devil May Cry also now sits upstairs and I am loving both games to bits, DMC is just a riot, you can't play that, pull off all the moves and fail to impress ones chums! :)
I have a £10 voucher to waste at WH Smith next week, if I can find out if it lets you go a bit deeper than churning out repetative thumping tunes MTV Music Generator 2002 may be my next purchase. I'm more into producing some ambient stuff with it. Any owners out there?
I'm being seriously naughty, put off a few DVD purchases too (ack, deprived myself of Tron damn it!!) but I shouldn't have really gone for 2 games today, bring my total of PS2 games to four with a fifth likely next week. Then I would like to leave it until Wipeout and get Jak & Daxter in between that and Metal Gear Solid 2. Likely I will get an X-box on release, certainly want one, how soon is another matter though as I am loving the PS2 far more than expected.
Dan (UK)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks