Directors Right Brain/Left Brain

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Lew Crippen, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

A discussion in the S&S thread that veered wildly off topic (and for which I am largely responsible) made me wonder who among us is right-brained and who is left-brained. This because Brook claimed never to think about a puzzle when it is presented in a movie, while George would freeze frame in order to try to solve the problem. [​IMG]

And I think it more than fair for us to critique each other as to an individual’s perception of his skills.

I give a quick summary of right/left brain characteristics for those not familiar with the concept.

Left brain is more analytical while right brain is more likely to synthysize.

Left looks at detail, while right views the whole.

Left is rational, while right is intuitive.

I’ll start: I’m both—mostly I’ve trained in left brain skills, but by nature I’m much more right brained. Even in my areas of marginal competence that would seem to be left brained, I’m better at conceptual things rather than detail. I’m pretty good at breaking things down (analyze), but I really like (and frequently do) make an intuitive leap.

Perhaps this accounts for why some of my posts appear to be confusing. [​IMG]

How about you?

2. Lew Crippen

A discussion in the S&S thread that veered wildly off topic (and for which I am largely responsible) made me wonder who among us is right-brained and who is left-brained. This because Brook claimed never to think about a puzzle when it is presented in a movie, while George would freeze frame in order to try to solve the problem. [​IMG]

And I think it more than fair for us to critique each other as to an individual’s perception of his skills.

I give a quick summary of right/left brain characteristics for those not familiar with the concept.

Left brain is more analytical while right brain is more likely to synthysize.

Left looks at detail, while right views the whole.

Left is rational, while right is intuitive.

I’ll start: I’m both—mostly I’ve trained in left brain skills, but by nature I’m much more right brained. Even in my areas of marginal competence that would seem to be left brained, I’m better at conceptual things rather than detail. I’m pretty good at breaking things down (analyze), but I really like (and frequently do) make an intuitive leap.

Perhaps this accounts for why some of my posts appear to be confusing. [​IMG]

How about you?

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

5. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

LEFT - But I try to supress it when watching films so that I don't have an interior monologue that destroys the experience.
    Wait a minute! That isn't possible.

- Walter.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

LEFT - But I try to supress it when watching films so that I don't have an interior monologue that destroys the experience.
    Wait a minute! That isn't possible.

- Walter.

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I'm left-brained, but with an artistic streak, at least musically, which is the most quantitative of the arts. [​IMG] I guess it's kind of odd that I end up doing a holistic analysis of movies. I'll have to think on that and see what I can come up with logically. [​IMG]

8. george kaplan

I'm left-brained, but with an artistic streak, at least musically, which is the most quantitative of the arts. [​IMG] I guess it's kind of odd that I end up doing a holistic analysis of movies. I'll have to think on that and see what I can come up with logically. [​IMG]

9. Lew Crippen

As I know you are aware George, it is not uncommon for mathematicians to have a talent for music and for musicians to be gifted mathematically.

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

While I certainly believe in the anatomic reality of a lateralized human brain, I don't buy into the usual "right brain"/"left brain" stuff, although it's fun at cocktail parties and in message boards.

Of interest: Broca's area (one of the primary speech areas) is usually located in the left brain. In about 15-20% of southpaws, it's in the right brain. In about 60-70% of them, there is speech cortex on both sides. In folks with situs inversus totalis (complete mirror image arrangement of all paired organs), the right and left hemispheres of the brain are anatomically reversed.

Damn you Lew, I hadn't thought about this stuff since med school!

11. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Right, all the way. It tends to grate on many of my "left-brained" friends and acquaintances. Funny at how left-brained my job is. Very hard for me not use a "hunch" or a "gut-feeling" when it comes to diagnosis. What is nice is that I'm very aware of my intuitive nature and its' occasional pitfalls.

12. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Amen.

13. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Right-brained, definitely. I think that's what makes me such a good poker player. [​IMG]

I am left-handed, but Angelo used too many big words so I got lost in there somewhere. Anatomy was by far my worst class in college, and I even showed up every day. I never did find out what the jive bone connects to...

I took a database class last week and I could intuitively jump from screen to screen and make the right configurations ahead of the instructor. But then when we had to go back and do it all over again and remember how and why all the screens interconnected together I was pretty shakey.

14. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I am mostly right brained.

I am a musician and I suck at math. However I always did well in English.

Note: I recently read that right brain dominent people figure out riddles easier and are able to understand and create metaphores.

15. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

Definitely more left brain.

I will try and figure almost anything out. If I see any statistic or logical conclusion my first instinct is to prove it. My right brain side comes out in my love of arts, which is why I’m probably good at photography.

Now a left brain moment: Lew you said in the theater thread you lived east of the Angelika and west of the Inwood. Isn’t that impossible unless I read it wrong.

I was at the Plano Angelika. It is very nice but they are a little too in love with the look of the place. They even sent out a press release on the stupid chandelier. The seats are leather and the concession is self serve drinks, you purchase a cup. Even though I live in Plano, I’ll probably only use it on weekends since I work close to downtown and the nighttime prices for Plano are $8.50.

16. Lew Crippen

I miswrote Chris—I live to the west of the Angelica and to the east of the Inwood. I was thinking about the direction I drive to get there. Still live north of the Magnolia. [​IMG]

Actually for locals, I live more or less midway between Mockingbird and University and Preston and Hillcrest.

17. george kaplan

I have no idea where those are, but as long as you're willing to take what might be an extremely long road, you can always be east of X and west of Y or east of Y and west of X. [​IMG]

18. Chris_Richard

Chris_Richard Supporting Actor

George -

This is akin to the stupid fact that Pochnoi Alaska is the easternmost point of the United States because it is on the other side of an arbitrary line. [​IMG]

19. Lew Crippen

OK, let’s get a quick critique:

Walter—left with a sense of humor (but I might have guess right)

George—ditto—but I’d never have thought anything other than left, very left.

Angelo—right—easy to believe

Zen—right and even eaiser

Brook—right (and a very easy pick)

Jean—right—but uses the left side to point out an exception to a general statement (can we really accept your right-brainess, Jean? [​IMG])

Chirs—left and demonstrably so—but I might have guessed the opposite.

Steve—out to lunch.

20. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Lew, I would have guessed left brain for you. You always suprise me with your sense of culture, fine film and good food. Not that leftys can't enjoy fine cuisine and the like, but you seem to relish in it and always make me hungry. [​IMG]