Riefenstahl's Olympiad

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Katherine_K, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

I have heard that Kino is currently handling a DVD release of Leni Riefenstahl's film about the 1936 Berlin Olympic games. Given the recently release of the Toyko Olympiad I'm rather hoping to be able to view them as a side by side comparison.

Can anyone confirm that Kino does have the film/s in the works or have any information on the time frame?

2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    katherine you might get more responses to your posts if you use a more specific thread title.

i'm sorry i dont have any answer for you, i'm sure someone will eventually.

3. Kenny Neal

Kenny Neal Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard anything about Kino, but would definitely like to own a copy of the film. Riefenstahl was an impressive film maker, regardless of her questionable politics. I'm surprised it still is not available on DVD, though I'm sure Kino would do a great job if the rumor pans out (they did release The Holy Mountain).

From Das Blaue Licht News:

July 2003

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has added to its cinema archive by "purchasing the [film] rights" of the 1936 Summer Games in Berlin . Reportedly the purchase was of Leni Riefenstahl's documentary film Olympia (1938). The terms and price for this significant acquisition by the IOC from the German government remains unclear, though they include the commercial rights. Current IOC president Jacques Rogge describes the famous two-part documentary as "...the pearl of our collection... the most eminent film in the history of the Olympic Games." (Source: AP)

Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia film is named one of the top 10 sports films of all time by Sports Illustrated this month. Described as a "lyrical account of the Berlin Olympics" the brief article mentions that noted film critic Pauline Kael called the 1938 release "an elegy on youth" which is "dedicated to the highest ideals of sportsmanship..." Included in the very short list are artistic triumphs such as "Chariots of Fire", "Raging Bull" and the documentary "When We Were Kings."

4. Peter Scarfe

Peter Scarfe Auditioning

Would also definitely like to see this one. Also what chance is there of getting White Rock on dvd?

5. IvanT

IvanT Agent

If you are region free/PAL capable, the movie is available here at Amazon.de:

Part 1
    Part 2

I

6. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Katherine, where did you hear it? This would be great news if it can be confirmed...

7. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

I heard it from a friend with a contact inside Criterion, but even he heard it as a rumor and given that it was an indirect source I was hoping someone here might have another.