What's new

Ridley Scott's "Robin Hood" Trailer (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Looks fantastic...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/robinhood/

Great cast too, no Christian Bale (thank you Ridley) and we get Cate Blanchett as the lovely Maid Marian.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Looks about as good as that amazing "King Arthur" with Clive Owen a few years ago.

This was so much more interesting when it was "Nottingham."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yawn, even the great director's are rehashing stories now.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
They can rehash all they want, I prefer it. All these old, outdated films need remade. Better visuals, better effects, better sound..etc.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Ridley Scott period piece.

Easy decision to see. Robin Hood has been made so many times and ways, that this can hardly be considered a rehash or a remake.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Has everyone forgotten how to make good films that combine fun and high adventure with larger than life heroes? Why does everything being made now have to be grubby and depressing looking? And this is coming from someone who generally likes Ridley Scott's films. The art of making good quality, fun movies seems to be rapidly being lost. Thank god for Errol Flynn's Robin Hood.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in. Didn't care for the 'rock' score in the trailer, but that's marketing, not the film itself. I'm a big Ridley Scott fan, though the last of his that I liked was 'American Gangster', and the last of his that I loved was the DC of 'Kingdom of Heaven'.

Can't say I share the sentiment that 'everything old needs to be re-hashed', but this story has been told several times on film, and can be told again.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Has everyone forgotten how to make good films that combine fun and high adventure with larger than life heroes? Why does everything being made now have to be grubby and depressing looking? And this is coming from someone who generally likes Ridley Scott's films. The art of making good quality, fun movies seems to be rapidly being lost. Thank god for Errol Flynn's Robin Hood.

Heh, I like how the description of the film at the Apple site describes the main character as "previously interested only in self-preservation" and that he basically only turns around because he's smitten with Cate Blanchett. Just like every protagonist in movies these days - a self-involved douchebag who's really only in it for the nookie ;)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
This still seems like the Nottingham idea right? Russel Crowe is the Sheriff and the story is the idea that Robin Hood was just an outlaw and only loved among thieves?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Steve_Tk

This still seems like the Nottingham idea right? Russel Crowe is the Sheriff and the story is the idea that Robin Hood was just an outlaw and only loved among thieves?
No, Crowe is Robin Hood and it's just a "realistic" telling of the story.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I'm torn on this one. I have no interest in seeing a RH movie but I like Crowe and love Scott's work. The director's cut of KOH is fantastic so if he delivers a RH movie on par with that I'll probably be there opening night.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I've always enjoyed Scott's movies, however I was more intrigued by the original story (except I didn't want Christian Bale).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I was interested for a few seconds at the beginning of the trailer, but when the action scenes started I had flashbacks of "Gladiator". I hated, hated that movie and specifically the battle scenes. I'm not a big fan of Scott's work, but he has made a few masterpieces including Alien & American Gangster. Hopefully the next trailer will sell me better, as this one just turned me off.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
too much of it looked like Gladiator to me. And yes, for all that Costner made for an awful title character, at least it was clearly fantasy, and was pretty fun, for the most part. (Of course, Morgan Freeman and Alan "Cut your heart out with a spoon!" Rickman helped a lot.)

Leo

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The Costner Robin Hood was very enjoyable. I am looking forward to this just because it's not a fantasy Robin Hood but more reality driven. Even if it does look a bit like Gladiator, but from such a short teaser clip it's too early to tell how much, if any, will copy Gladiator.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Bleah. I don't like the look of this thing at all. The color scheme is all wrong--I want lush, verdant, GREEN Sherwood in Ye Old England, not this drab, dreary look drained of water and color. Robin Hood should be a romantic swashbuckler, not a "gritty" tale with an angst-filled sour faced Crowe. And what's with all the BEACH scenes?? I'll pass.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I wasn't impressed with this teaser either. Not at all. Visually boring and it really came across as Maximus with a bow and arrow. The ongoing Ridley/Russell collaboration is starting to vie with Burton/Depp as the pre-eminent actor/director bromance in Hollywood. That and to be honest I'm really not interested in another Robin Hood film - retread/reimagining/remake/reboot/whatever. Yawn. Hey Mr. Scott, how about something original? Something fresh? Coming from you THAT would get me into the theater.

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I'm in, don't think this will be a miss...in fact don't really remember when a Scott or Crowe film missed...and if the $%^&*( producers stay out of it, maybe it will be as good as KoH in it's directors cut format on the initial release!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks