Ridley Scott's Legend

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grant B, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Saw the LD of it in a store for $40...guess it is not out on LD;hence the pricetag.

Is it very good? the AMG gave it a so-so review...any experts?

Thanks

Grant

2. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

It seems to be coming to DVD soon though
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#0213early
    The DVD will apparently be spectacular as well, but I don't really have any details in my head, so I'll save you any speculation. I intend to buy this sight unseen in May, due to all the "hype [​IMG]" on this forum, so if I were you I'd save my cash until May and get the DVD, which will apparently have two cuts as well.

3. Guy_K

Guy_K Second Unit

I too have been intrigued by all the hype on various dvd forums for this movie. Is it very good? Worth a sight unseen purchase?

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I confidently predict that, when the Legend DVD finally appears, a lot of people will buy it sight unseen because of the long build-up, and will then come roaring onto this and other HT forums screaming about how they wasted their money. Legend is a strange film, unique as Blade Runner was, but also demanding a suspension of disbelief by the audience that many won't be willing to give it.
    The original European cut, which I've been waiting 18 years to see again, was the most literal rendition of a fairy tale world I have ever seen on a screen. It's a completely made-up world, in which even the dust in the air seems to be infused by some sort of sprite. The production design is so elaborate that the actors often get lost in it (which also happened with Blade Runner). If you can let yourself go, it's a unique experience.
    The American cut (which is what's on LD, in a cropped version) is shorter, has different music, and generally lacks the magic that the original version is capable of, IMO. It sacrifices atmostphere to highlight the basic narrative, which isn't all that interesting by itself. I didn't buy it on LD when I had the chance, and I certainly wouldn't get it now.
    M.

5. Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger Stunt Coordinator

6. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

If Charlie (from Scott Free) were here, this is what he'd say on record...the forthcoming R1 Domestic DVD is still slated to contain the Tangerine Dream-scored U.S. version (to satisfy those fans of the American version) and a brand-new 113-minute director's cut (with the original Jerry Goldsmith score). So this new DVD is sure to please everyone.

Now, here's my take on David Letterman's Top Ten...

Top Ten Things To Do With One Of The Two "Legend" DVDs You Don't Want To See...

10. Use it as a frisbee

9. Use it as a coaster for cold or hot drinks

8. Turn it into a clock

7. Use it as a wheel for a science project

6. Use it to press cookie dough

5. Use it to shape doughnut dough

4. Use it as a pizza cutter

3. Use it to blow bubbles

2. Throw it into your fireplace with your InstaLog to get a fire started

AND NUMBER ONE...

...use it for target practice.

..but of course, I'll keep both discs for comparison.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

So did Scott do the American version or did the studio know better?

The 2 cuts are that different or they just cut minutes to bring it in around 90 for Americans (thank you very much)?

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There are probably half a dozen versions of Legend floating around. I can't tell you which one I saw in Paris 18 years ago, but it was radically different from what was released over here.

IMDb has an extensive listing of alternate cuts and changes.

M.

9. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

10. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Ok, so will this version have the TANGERINE DREAM music in it? If not, I am going to be SORELY aggrevated!

11. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

As myself and Scott Free's Charlie have stated many, many times on this Forum, the DVD will contain both the 113-minute cut (featuring ONLY Jerry Goldsmith's original score), while the U.S. version will be the one with Tangerine Dream's score.

I guess you guys just won't quit until the DVD is released.

12. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

13. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm
    Maybe this should be in the regional DVD area, but then you wouldn't read it, now would you?
    Check out this link for a review of the recently released R2 version of Legend...