What's new

Ridley Scott's Legend (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Saw the LD of it in a store for $40...guess it is not out on LD;hence the pricetag.

Is it very good? the AMG gave it a so-so review...any experts?

Thanks

Grant

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
It seems to be coming to DVD soon though
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#0213early
The DVD will apparently be spectacular as well, but I don't really have any details in my head, so I'll save you any speculation. I intend to buy this sight unseen in May, due to all the "hype :D" on this forum, so if I were you I'd save my cash until May and get the DVD, which will apparently have two cuts as well.

Guy_K

Second Unit
I too have been intrigued by all the hype on various dvd forums for this movie. Is it very good? Worth a sight unseen purchase?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I confidently predict that, when the Legend DVD finally appears, a lot of people will buy it sight unseen because of the long build-up, and will then come roaring onto this and other HT forums screaming about how they wasted their money. Legend is a strange film, unique as Blade Runner was, but also demanding a suspension of disbelief by the audience that many won't be willing to give it.
The original European cut, which I've been waiting 18 years to see again, was the most literal rendition of a fairy tale world I have ever seen on a screen. It's a completely made-up world, in which even the dust in the air seems to be infused by some sort of sprite. The production design is so elaborate that the actors often get lost in it (which also happened with Blade Runner). If you can let yourself go, it's a unique experience.
The American cut (which is what's on LD, in a cropped version) is shorter, has different music, and generally lacks the magic that the original version is capable of, IMO. It sacrifices atmostphere to highlight the basic narrative, which isn't all that interesting by itself. I didn't buy it on LD when I had the chance, and I certainly wouldn't get it now.
M.

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
The original European cut, which I've been waiting 18 years to see again, was the most literal rendition of a

fairy tale world I have ever seen on a screen. It's a completely made-up world, in which even the dust in the air

seems to be infused by some sort of sprite. The production design is so elaborate that the actors often get lost

in it (which also happened with Blade Runner). If you can let yourself go, it's a unique experience.
Well said...I agree 100%!! Legend is still my favourite fantasy movie ever... better than LotR (although this one is close)!

I love movies with great production design (not CGI)...hell...I even like The Haunting if for its sets alone!

Jo_C

Second Unit
If Charlie (from Scott Free) were here, this is what he'd say on record...the forthcoming R1 Domestic DVD is still slated to contain the Tangerine Dream-scored U.S. version (to satisfy those fans of the American version) and a brand-new 113-minute director's cut (with the original Jerry Goldsmith score). So this new DVD is sure to please everyone.

Now, here's my take on David Letterman's Top Ten...

Top Ten Things To Do With One Of The Two "Legend" DVDs You Don't Want To See...

10. Use it as a frisbee

9. Use it as a coaster for cold or hot drinks

8. Turn it into a clock

7. Use it as a wheel for a science project

6. Use it to press cookie dough

5. Use it to shape doughnut dough

4. Use it as a pizza cutter

3. Use it to blow bubbles

2. Throw it into your fireplace with your InstaLog to get a fire started

AND NUMBER ONE...

...use it for target practice.

..but of course, I'll keep both discs for comparison.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
So did Scott do the American version or did the studio know better?

The 2 cuts are that different or they just cut minutes to bring it in around 90 for Americans (thank you very much)?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There are probably half a dozen versions of Legend floating around. I can't tell you which one I saw in Paris 18 years ago, but it was radically different from what was released over here.

IMDb has an extensive listing of alternate cuts and changes.

M.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So did Scott do the American version or did the studio know better?
From what I understand, Scott very reluctantly gave in to the studio, but most of the cuts were mandated by Universal, and Scott didn't have much of a choice. At any rate, as Jo C said, the reason everyone is so excited about the DVD is because of the 113-minute director's cut that has never been released anywhere (it had one or two test screenings in 1985, but that's about it). The original European theatrical release, while closer in tone to the original intentions, was still heavily (and IMO, poorly) cut, and Goldsmith's score was chopped and changed around to accomodate it. It's still great music, but the thematic unity is severely hurt.

At any rate, if indeed this does come out on May 21, I will definitely be picking it up.

todd stone

Screenwriter
Ok, so will this version have the TANGERINE DREAM music in it? If not, I am going to be SORELY aggrevated!

Jo_C

Second Unit
As myself and Scott Free's Charlie have stated many, many times on this Forum, the DVD will contain both the 113-minute cut (featuring ONLY Jerry Goldsmith's original score), while the U.S. version will be the one with Tangerine Dream's score.

I guess you guys just won't quit until the DVD is released.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
The original European cut, which I've been waiting 18 years to see again, was the most literal rendition of a fairy tale world I have ever seen on a screen.
This is what I've been waiting my whole life to see! Ever since I was a kid, I knew there was a "longer" version with a "real score" (although I do sorta like the Tangerine Dream stuff) and I've been searching ever since. It's ironic (to people who know me) that THIS PARTICULAR movie has been delayed soooo many times, when it's precisely the ONE movie I want!
I do take solace in the fact that I'll get my chance soon, but waiting, quite frankly, sucks.
(This has been my monthly Legend rant. Longtime HTF members hate me for always mentioning this movie...and because I'm obnoxious, too.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks