What's new

Ridley Scott throws a curveball (Crusades)?? (1 Viewer)

DanR

Supporting Actor
Did anyone catch this? Variety is reporting that Ridley Scott will direct a movie called "Crusades". This is interesting since his most recent interviews were leading us to believe he'd be doing Alien 5 or an "old fashioned Pirate movie" (i.e. Captain Kidd for Bruckheimer).

I don't think this is the Arnold Schwarzenegger Crusade movie. It's a new script at Fox, set to start shooting next year. Is he going to do something this year too, before moving on to Crusade? Very interesting development.

Regards,

Dan

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Well if he does make Crusades, it better be more like Black Hawk Down and less like Gladiator. In my mind, Scott still hasn't established himself as a "good" director.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Well if he does make Crusades, it better be more like Black Hawk Down and less like Gladiator.
In what respect? I suppose you're talking about making a true war movie instead of an epic, but it could be misinterpreted as meaning that you want guns and helicopters in the 13th century rather than swords and hammers. BTW, I read a real good book about the Crusades called The Book of the Lion for school this year, and I thought it should be made into a movie. It was a young adult book, but it was quite bloody and gory and all that good stuff.

DanR

Supporting Actor
The more I think about this, the more I think this could be a nice project for Ridley. The thought of him directing all of this action, hopefully with a compelling story, seems like it could epic in nature if they do it right. With Crusades, Alexander the Great, Gates of Fire, etc in the piplines, it looks like we're going to get some nice historical war-type films out of Hollywood. I think we can thank the success of Gladiator for this coming trend.

I still would like to see Ridley do Captain Kidd too.

Regards,

Dan

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I think this is a FASCINATING subject. I truly hope that it's BlackHawkDownesque as well in that I found the Gladiator Battle scenes COMPLETELY unrealistic. The moors were FANATIC fighters, and the Crusaders were well funded and armored. Im psyched as I hadn't heard about this movie yet.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
In my mind, Scott still hasn't established himself as a "good" director.
I think the man is a fantastic director. Far better than good. Maybe not the best, but he rarely disappoints. I was surprised he made Hannibal as watchable as it is considering how god-awful the source material and book were. Still not a good movie, but he was the saving grace. I suppose you don't like Alien, BHD, Blade Runner, etc.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I suppose you don't like Alien, BHD, Blade Runner
Actually, I DO like Black Hawk Down. It is the only movie that he made that I actually liked and I feel that it was THE best film of last year. I didn't care for Hannibal, Blade Runner, Gladiator, Alien etc.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Ridley's hit-and-miss for me, but it's just a personal taste thing. I don't think he's a bad director, I just happen to not like some of the movies he directs. I thought he did a hell of a job with Blade Runner, Gladiator, and Black Hawk Down...but Hannibal just left a sour taste in my mouth. Either way, I'll be out there to see whatever he makes next.

Chris Harvey

Second Unit
Ridley Scott, IMHO, is a fantastic visual who is dependent upon the script he's directing. He can usually be counted on to deliver strong and dynamic scenes in a striking visual manner -- but needs a solid script with well-developed characters in order to make something really special. In this sense he's more visually driven than story/character driven (not surprising given his artistic background).

This isn't a knock on Scott: I think many directors share this "flaw" and are dependent on good scripts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks