1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Riding with the King DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Aug 21, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

This DVD-A title was the first purchase I made for my new Panny DVD-A player (fourplay and Jazz in the bedroom are on there way)...As soon as I heard the first string played on this disc I knew that I was in for a night of kicking back on the sofa and a couple of glasses of wine !!!
    The detail of both guitars and everytime they were picking on the strings was amazing. I have the redbook edition of this cd and I might have to move it to the car forever. The DVD-A format is more detailed and much more accurate than what I had anticipated. The songs give you the feeling of a small venue or something, the notes seem to last longer and you get that "in the middle feeling" of being there. Some of the performances were better than the others but I was mostly trying to hear what sonic improvements DVD-A has made. Overall, I was totally happy with the selection and the format. My only gripe is the prices for these discs. (Unless Best buy lowers there prices, I'm sticking to online purchases or taking a trip to JandR in NYC!!)

Equipment used:

Onkyo 575x
    Polk Audio RT600I mains
    Polk Audio rt25i rears
    Velodyne ct10 subwoofer
    JBL S-Center center channel
    Panasonic dvdra60 - DVD player
    Marantz cc3000 cd player

2. Jesper

Jesper Stunt Coordinator

Jesper Nielsen
    Hi Anthony,
    Great choice!
    I also have this album.. Also have Fourplay, which is also great..
    I can also recomend Fleetwood Mac : Rumours (if you are a fan of them - 2 more albums will be out!) Well I can recomend a lot of DVD Audio titles [​IMG]
    One of my fave listning at the moment is Crowed House - this is too good to be true! So if you like EMI, I can tell you they will work hard on new titles with in the next year!
    Here in Denmark Warner's and Silverline's prices dropped to almost the same level as cd... So I'm not buying any cd anymore! [​IMG]
    My equipment
    Denon AVCA1D
    Denon DVD3800
    B&W Nautilus 804 (front)
    B&W Nautilus HTM2 (center)
    B&W Nautilus 805 (Rear) &
    B&W Nautilus ASW4000 (sub)
    Jesper

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Anthony,

Thanks for the review. I have the CD of Riding with the King and am looking to pick up the DVD-Audio disc. I have been hoping for the sorts of improvements from the DVD-Audio disc that you mentioned. Sounds like a winner.

Jesper said:

4. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

That is a great disc Anthony. Isn't the detail amazing? Now that you're hooked, check some other places for good prices. Circuit City online is supposed to have good prices. Also amazon, dvdplanet, dvdempire...others I can't remember now. Maybe check dealtime.com for price comparisons.

Others that are great are Metallica, Reptile/Eric Clapton, Winelight/Grover Washington, Jr., America Homecoming, Greatful Dead-both of em, Dave Koz, others I can't remember right now...

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Update: Has anyone experienced center channel distortion on track #6 ? (the advanced resolution surround version- NOT the DTS version). For some strange reason track #6 sounds terrible through my center channel [​IMG] ..could it be a bad copy or is it just my equipment ?

6. Emil Stoica

Emil Stoica Second Unit

Jesper,

I will agree on the Crowded House disc. It is excellent. Way better than I expected. Highly recommended.

7. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, that's news to me, and excellent news at that. Thanks!