Riding Giants

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bob_Chase, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Bob_Chase

Bob_Chase Stunt Coordinator

I was surprised by the lack of chatter regarding this film on the board and thought I would kick it off.

I just got the chance to check out this new release, a documentary on the history of big-wave surfing. I can't really say I was surprised by the quality of the film as (former pro-skater) Stacy Peralta's last offering, Dogtown and Z Boys proved that he's a capable film-maker. But in my opinion Peralta's really hit the mark on this one.

Peralta does a nice job of smashing the surfer stereotype (think Spicoli) and presents us with a highly entertaining view of these pioneers whose only means of getting high are surfing MASSIVE 40-60 ft waves with religous fervor. The footage presented of the crushing power of mother nature at locales such as the Hawaiian North Shore, Northern California's frigid, shark-infested waters of Mavericks and Teahupo'o located in Tahiti is simply jaw-dropping.

I now have a newfound respect for these crazy s.o.b.'s and enjoyed every single moment watching them do what they do best and listening to their personal stories.

I sincerly hope to see Peralta get an Oscar-nod when the nominations are released. This is surprisingly one of my faves of 2004.

Hopefully some of you will give this little gem a look.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of 4

2. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I will be posting an official review of this title sometime in the next few days, or possibly early next week. There was a mixup with my contact at Sony which caused me to get a big backlog of screeners all at once (11 in a couple of days), so I am a little behind.

This looks like an excellent film.

3. Eric_R.

Eric_R. Stunt Coordinator

While not the best video quality as compared to something like Step Into Liquid, I thought the video quality was good with what they had and I also thought it was an excellent film. Seeing some of those scenes make me feel like i was right there.

4. Bob_Chase

Looking forward to your in-depth review Aaron!

Eric, I got the sense that most of the coverage was provided via consumer-grade camcorders with the exception of some of the more recent footage of Hamilton. To be perfectly honest with you I really didn't notice the video quality. I just sat back and enjoyed it. I'll leaving the slicing and dicing up to Aaron [​IMG]

I'm really looking forward to Peralta's next project. His passion for the subject matter, respect for the individuals and their sport, and thorough research, was clearly communicated.

5. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

The first minute alone of this film is worth it...The footage of those waves is truly astounding.

I greatly enjoyed the three separate components of the story (Waimea, Mavericks, and Laird Hamilton) and Peralta seems to keep up the interest with different techniques of telling the story. There were a few over the top proclamations made through out ("momentous occasion", etc.) especially by the editor of Surfer magazine, but it's really the only complaint and can easily be forgiven.

Peralta looks to have two projects in the works for 2005 and I look forward to anything he touches at this point...

6. Bob_Chase

Bob,

What's Stacy working on now? Inquiring minds want to know...[​IMG]

Thanks!

7. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

8. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

I'm curious how the film itself stands up to Step into Liquid. I know SiL isn't all big wave action, but the content was very interesting and held my interest

9. Bob_Chase

I think it stands up to Step Into Liquid very well and in some ways surpasses it. For me it had to do with Peralta's development of the characters. One in particular was the outspoken Greg Noll. What I wouldn't do to sit down with this guy for 2hrs and a case of beer.

His choice of music was a perfect marriage to the visuals as well. One scene in particular is the guys frantically paddling up a 30' face that snuck up on them while Alice In Chains' Them Bones plays on the soundtrack.

10. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

I'm still pissed that the song from Step Into Liquid (during the Cortez surfing scenes) wasn't put on the album. Called "Perfect Day" by Sheila Divine

11. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

This is a great documentary. I haven't seen SIL yet, but it's hard to imagine it could be better than Riding Giants. Those waves were ungodly (particularly Hamilton's), and the human-interest stuff was fairly compelling, too. [​IMG]

12. George See

George See Second Unit

Just got a chance to see this over the weekend, I definitly liked it. But I think I enjoyed SIL more. I can't even really put my finger on why maybee it's all a matter of which one you see first. I really enjoyed the old footage in this one of the surf scene before it went big that was definitly my favorite part.

13. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

While I liked Step into Liquid quite a bit I enjoyed Riding Giants even more. SiL covered an awful lot of ground while RG stayed focused on big wave riding and a handful of key surfers. The soundtrack was perfect and the AfterEffects work they did to make those vintage photos look 3D was awesome.

14. George See

George See Second Unit

Agreed the soundtrack was great while not being distracting.

Slightly off topic but....can someone recomend a good biography film or book on Dick Dale?