Ridiculous Car Bass!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ken Burkstrum, May 31, 2006.

1. Ken Burkstrum

Ken Burkstrum Stunt Coordinator

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    depends on your definition of tolerable. certainly not without ear damage.

CJ

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    From Realm of Excursion, this truck does 155dB at 32hz. Uses eight 12" Resonant Engineering XXX subs and eight Planet Audio amps (it has other equipment but there's too much to list). It's impressive but nothing like the video of Scottie Johnson breaking his door with Adire Bramahs at 170dB.

-Robert

4. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I live directly next to a major interstate and you would be amazed at how many people drive down the road at 70-80 mph with the bass kicking BIG TIME! My dedicated 20x24 theater is at least 400 ft from the roadside and even with a 8 ft privacy fence, various trees and bushes, standard 2x4 construction with batt insulation, 3/4 foam outer sheathing, 5/8 osb, and 1/2 sheetrock I can still hear the bass at times when I am not watching tv or a movie w/ 7.1.

I predict a boom (no pun intended!) in the audiologist business [​IMG]

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    So, little sister, probably? I hope she's not there by choice.

Saddest thing I ever saw was a guy with a monster rig driving down the street, bassing out to a Janet Jackson ballad.

6. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

This video is so last week.

I like the RE XXX series. But 12's are just too puny for me. [​IMG]

These "hair-trick" vids are getting old.

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

I remember one with a brunette, her hair was longer and it flew all over the place. Bassheads can never get enough.

8. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I've pretty much had my fill of cars "bumbing" down the street, as if the deepest bass in the world actually constitutes music.

What really gets me is people installing these Earth shattering systems in their cars and, seemingly, have no clue about what vibration is! You can hear vibration noise coming from the body of their cars everytime a bass rythm sounds, it just makes something that, IMO, already sounds like crap even worse.

9. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

So true, John. For someone that will go and drop five or ten grand on a car stereo, you'd think they could spend $10 to buy some silencing material.

Bruce

10. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Another thing I hate about "thumping" cars, is that sometimes one will be outside of my house and it'll have a steady rythmic thump going that sounds like a heartbeat. It creeps me out and makes me uncomfortable because it sounds like i'm hearing, and feeling, my own heartbeat.

11. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Well, it depends on the system and I've heard some of the best. +Laughing+ Yes though, I live in a flat on a main street and it's just hilarious when I see a 92 Cavalier booming so hard you can hear their flippin' dash panel rattling the retainer clips loose. What's even funnier is that the drivers appear to be totally clueless to it

12. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

It's a health hazard. It doesn't just destroy hearing ; unless I'm just suffering from the "making stuff up" disease, I think that high SPL at low frequencies can damage the internal organs. Not a nice thought. I know it causes me physical pain when one of those bustmobiles pulls up near me on the road.

13. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    And with a lot of systems that seems to be all you hear. As if Hip-Hop only exists within those registers. Lame-o's. A lot of Hip-Hop is very melodic(see Rza, Timbaland etc.) There's a lot going on up top.You can't hear that when you got your sub all max +10. It just sounds retarded and muddy. God, I'd hate to have one of these dips set my HT levels.

14. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

But that's why they do it. They want everyone to know about their speakers. [​IMG]

It's all about: "Hey, look at me!"

15. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson

Yep, it's the same reason why we have these bikers rev their REMARKABLY loud motorcycle engines on our quiet street when they could just as easily coast on through. God that pisses me off when they do that. [​IMG]

16. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i agree. around here, there are plenty of LOUD motorcycles that do exactly that. i'm not a motorcycle guy, but i can appreciate how someone would enjoy a bike with a nice grumble sound. but it's total hypocrisy when some punk with a loud stereo gets a citation for disturbing the peace while a guy revving his extremely loud bike while rolling down the street doesn't get cited. why do motorcycles get a free pass?

CJ

17. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Possible because, in every accident involving a motorcycle and an automobile, the driver in the car claims not to have seen the motorcyclist. A very loud exhaust serves as an attention-getter, or at least makes this excuse less credible. It's the same reason as the fashion for white helmets — they're more likely to "see" you if you look like a State Trooper.

18. MarkHastings

The only problem with that is, 95% of the time, they wait for a stretch of blank road in front of them before 'opening it up'.

It's definitely a "Look at me" move, but it's more of a "don't I look cool" rather than a "make sure you see me/safety" kind of thing.

19. MarkHastings

and how does that differ from when two cars, or trucks, (or whatever) get into an accident? Isn't that what an accident is?...you don't see the other vehicle?

Or are people hitting each other on purpose? [​IMG]

20. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    if this is true, the loud harleys must get in far less accidents than the ninja style (quieter) bikes. if statistics don't prove that, the loud bike argument is bullshit.

CJ