What's new

Ride the Wild Surf - Columbia - How is the DVD? (1 Viewer)

Rich Strauss

Stunt Coordinator
I bought it and watched it when it first came out. As I recall the picture & sound quality are fine. The movie itself is truer to the surfing lifestyle than the Frankie/Annette movies. And of course, Jan & Dean sing the title track.

Regards, Rich

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Robert,

Thanks for the reply. My impression of the movie is that it is a bit "truer" to the lifestyle as well. Overall, bit more production "polish" than the AIP pictures.

Huge Jan and Dean fan as well.

Just to be sure: 16:9 enhanced? True stereo soundtrack by any chance?

Paul

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just watched the very end of this on TCM and was surprised they showed a pan & scanned version. Very noticeable when the shot became letterboxed for the end credits. Looked like an interesting surf pic, so I came here to verify if the DVD was any good.

Thoughts, anyone?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just watched the very end of this on TCM and was surprised they showed a pan & scanned version. Very noticeable when the shot became letterboxed for the end credits. Looked like an interesting surf pic, so I came here to verify if the DVD was any good.

Thoughts, anyone?
Only that regarding TCM Broadcasts of RIDE THE WILD SURF, nothing has changed since the mid to late '00s. I've sometimes wondered whether an original Widescreen version of this even exists?

For what it's worth, Amazon lists its AR at 1.85:1: http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Wild-Surf-Barbara-Eden/dp/B0006D3HCY

CHEERS! :)

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Thank you to John and Allen for your valued input regarding the DVD!

I find it surprising that TCM has never picked up this version, considering it's been around on Home Video since 2005! It's not HD quality (obviously), but it would still be a marked improvement over the Pan & Scan version they've continued to broadcast!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
[
I find it surprising that TCM has never picked up this version, considering it's been around on Home Video since 2005! It's not HD quality (obviously), but it would still be a marked improvement over the Pan & Scan version they've continued to broadcast!

I agree, it seems very surprising to me as well. I just may pick up this DVD.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It was just shown window boxed wide screen on TCM, or non anamorphic if you had the DVD.
Did you actually watch it? I caught the tail end back on the 7th, and the movie was pan and scan until the end credits, when it opened up to window boxed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks