What's new

RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Have there been any rumors about MGM releasing Sam Peckinpah's RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY on DVD? With all the other westerns and catalog titles they've been releasing lately, it seems odd that this one is still sitting on the shelf.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'd love to see this on DVD, but haven't heard anything.

Unfortunately, if it belongs to MGM, any eventual DVD is very likely to look like crap. I doubt they'll bother to give it SE treatment, so that probably means a mediocre transfer at best.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Jason,
I started a petition for more Westens on DVD in the Studio Feedback forum.
If you'd like to join in feel free and click Here
Unfortunately, if it belongs to MGM, any eventual DVD is very likely to look like crap. I doubt they'll bother to give it SE treatment, so that probably means a mediocre transfer at best.
That's a pretty harsh statement. Its a wonder if any studio reps looked here any more with such polite constructive criticism.
I don't know what you are basing your statement on but I can tell you that their recent Vikings DVD has a beautiful anamorphic transfer.
As for the debate over who owns this film. The older catalog MGM titles did convert over to Warner. However Ride the High Country is a United Artist title like Magnificent Seven. The UA catalog was held onto by MGM so I'm pretty certain this is still an MGM title.

David Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see this on DVD too; there's a thread in the Studio feedback forum right now (see my sig) for classic westerns and others have expressed interest in this title too. I've not posted my support for this title there yet since I'm still working on my list :).

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I would love a copy of this on DVD. The LD is faded and has no chapter-stops (though is thankfully widescreen).

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Tom Jones
The Apartment
Sayonara (2.35:1 and non-anamorphic!)
Old news.
Well at least 2 (not sure about Sayonara) out of the 3 you mentioned came out a year ago. I for one think MGM has improved mightily since then which is why I think your statement was overly harsh.
Go beat up a Studio that deserves it now instead of what they did in the past.
How bout Fox Forber. :D

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
They may have improved slightly. Or at least there have been no fiascos as great as those I mentioned in recent months.
However, their output is still consistently the least impressive among the major studios. And none of their non-SE catalogue releases even holds a candle to Warner's. Not even close.
In any case, this is going to be my last comment on this issue, since we are going off topic. :)
The topic is Ride the High Country on DVD. I'd like to see it on DVD. I'm confident that, when they release it, Warner will once again knock my socks off (I swear I almost fell off the sofa watching She Wore a Yellow Ribbon last night--wow!)
Oh yeah, I do agree about Fox Lorber. In fact, I have boycotted their product altogether.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
If this does get released, let's just hope the transfer isn't on par with that of Cross of Iron. Now THAT transfer was crap...

Anyway, count me in as wanting this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks