What's new

Riddle: when is dedicated not dedicated? (1 Viewer)

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Ever since I worked in a movie theater as a teenager (where I met my lovely wife - more on her in a minute), I have wanted a Dedicated Home Theater room. Even back then I talked about finding seats from a closed theater, maybe a 16 or 35mm projector, and creating a gosh-darn real home movie theater.

It's now a little over 20 years later, and I recently came to the brilliant realization that our unused basement is the right size to fit the bill. Moreover, today's low price video projectors make this dream do-able. And, most important of all, my wife and soul mate of 20 years has not vetoed the project. She has, however, made the following "suggestions" as to other uses for this dedicated space:
It's a good place for the treadmill;
It's a good place to set up a conversation area around the unused fireplace that, in my plan, will be unseen behind the screen wall;
Instead of blacking out the glass sliding doors on one wall, let's replace them so we can have picnics that go directly from the theater to the outside; and,
It's a good place for a desk to do bills.
(Other suggestions are sure to follow. I'm only a week or two into the project.)

My question to you, dear friends, is how dedicated is dedicated? Has anyone incorporated (or hidden) uses you normally wouldn't find at the Bijou without detracting from the supposed purpose of the room?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
In the last few years I've become distinctly more casual and less obsessive about my home theater hobby. I couldn't imagine wasting living space by installing a "dedicated" home theater that's usable for nothing else. Three years ago I would have liked the idea. Today, foget it.

In my new house, the "theater" will be a corner of the basement rec room. No theater seats, no special decoration (well, a little). I don't want to recreate the theater environment at home any more, I just want to kick back and enoy movies.

Sounds like you're after the same thing I'm after.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I have a dedicated HT room, dedicated for movies and nothing else. It is in half of the garage which was wasted space anyway since I don't park my company SUV in there. My wife is still able to park her van inside.

I couldn't imagine wasting living space by installing a "dedicated" home theater that's usable for nothing else.
Been there, done that. My HT used to be dedicated to the extra bedroom in the house. Having a small house, this did not work out so well. If you've got a large house, I don't see a problem with it.

I love movies and will always have (as long as it's available) a 100% dedicated HT room.

Peace Out~:D

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
When I first started reading Jack's thread (welcome to the forum by the way). I couldn't help but to chuckle and giggle at what he was saying, it just seemed so comical. Because all I could think about was "poor guy, he want's to build his dream theater and here comes the wife factor to tear it all down."

But after Phil's post, I started to think differently and say, maybe she (the wife) doesn't have a bad idea. Because dedicated theaters are really good for only one thing...being dedicated to theater. And that's what my theater is. But after you watch a movie, the room has lost it's purpose.

Prime example is my dad came over Friday to visit, and we all went down to the theater to spend time together. But after the movie we watched some hdtv stuff and tried to have a conversation. But with him setting in the back row, and me sitting in the front, it kinda puts a strain on the conversation mood. So I can understand a person making their theater more multipurpose versus dedicated.

Here's my favorite example of this, my next theater project will be modeled after this one. (my favorite theater.)

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure how much room you have to work with, but I built my dedicated theater in one part of our basement. The adjacent part is still unfinished and plans call for it to be a combined lobby and home office. I plan on putting my desk, computer and musical instruments on one side of the room, and a small concession stand, fountain soda machine, popcorn machine and probably a video game console (Galaga, pacman)in the rest of the room.
My theater will still be dedicated, and have a lobby, but I will move my office out of the spare bedroom to please the wife.

Steve

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Jack,

Welcome to the Forum, and good luck on your project!

My comments on the wife’s suggestions:

It's a good place for a desk to do bills.
As with both the second idea: Where are the bills currently being done? Why would you want to drag all the paperwork down to the basement, and then drag it all back upstairs to go to the mailbox?

Also goes with the third idea, about merging mutually exclusive activities – actually it even contradicts the third idea: If you intend to use the HT for entertaining guests, do you really want file cabinets down there, and a desk piled high with paperwork and computer equipment?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Thanks for the input, guys. I love Wayne's analogy of a swimming pool in the middle of a tennis court. That's a good way to describe my initial reaction!

My original post was really meant to have a little chuckle about how differently my wife and I see this project. At this point, the room is a catch-all, mostly for unwanted furniture. If I can get it cleaned out, remodled, and functioning, I'll be thrilled. I just need to get ready for the inevitable "changes" in the use of the room that will develop over time. (And as much as I love movies, it's probably the remodeling itself that I really enjoy - once I get the ideas on what to do.)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have my computer in my HT room and it goes straight into the Monitor. Using a wireless keyboard and it's great.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
LeMarcus, thanks for posting that link!
Here's my favorite example of this, my next theater project will be modeled after this one. (my favorite theater.)
That looks very much like what I'm after in my new home. I'm seriously considering stadium seating and prepping the ceiling for a projector (running condiut, dedicated AC line), but that's about the extent of the dediceated "home theater". - well, in-wall subwoofers... heh heh heh...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I must say, that is a nice theater / rec room type set up, nothing I'd ever do as I like the dedicated HT room, but that is elegant looking.

As much as this hobby is about enjoying movies, a big part of it for me is the tinkering, tweaking, remodeling...it never stops, I'm constantly changing things. The Driftwood is like Disneyland, it will never be complete. It is very relaxing, peacful, stress relieving, to kick back with a beer and tinker. Just last night I tore down nearly the entire front sound stage. Moving the mains onto stands and farther out away from the screen, redesigning the AV rack and then onto building a bigger screen. After that, adding a dedicated line for my PJ, after that...These are just some of the reasons why I love a 100% dedicated HT room. I can do whatever I want without having to be concerned with affecting other household stuff.

Sonnie Parker

Second Unit
I got a chuckle myself. :D

I, like Ron-P, am converting half my garage to a dedicated HT room. It will be dedicated to HDTV and DVD's but I'm sure I'll watch other SD programming from time to time.

This room for me does not replace our great room where we will still have a 65" Toshiba RPTV, chatting, etc. What it will do for me (or us) will be to eliminate all the other noises heard while watching a movie or program, like the dishes being washed in the kitchen next to the great room and our daughters TV that can be heard from the great room (it's like a battle of who can turn the volume up the loudest). Heck, we can hardly even watch a DVD because the sound travels throughout the house and unless everyone is watching, it's distracting. We should be able to watch whatever and whenever without disturbing others. There will be no bill paying in our HT room... no treadmill... just a good ole HT room. I wouldn't have any room for anything else anyway.

We've shared our HT with a great room for over 12 years now and if I'm going to build a dedicated HT room then that's what it will be... dedicated.

I definitely do not consider it wasted space. How about your bedroom? You use it to sleep in and then the rest of the time it's wasted space? Well... put the treadmill and desk in there. lol Same goes with every room in your house. You can't be in every room all the time so you've got a lot of wasted space if you look at it like that.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I definitely do not consider it wasted space. How about your bedroom? You use it to sleep in and then the rest of the time it's wasted space? Well... put the treadmill and desk in there. lol Same goes with every room in your house. You can't be in every room all the time so you've got a lot of wasted space if you look at it like that.
:laugh: Good points Sonnie.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yeah good points indeed. I guess I just need a bigger house.:D

Actually if I had a bigger house I would have a rec room, family room, and a theater room. Life at home would be perfect. But as it stands now, I only have a theater room. And it's great, I mean hey this is my first house, I'm only 26, so next time around I'll have all the bases covered.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks