Ricoh has developed a laser that reads/writes both HD DVD and Blu-Ray.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Travis Hedger, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Dude, that is one of the best articles I've read in a long time. Available at the end of the year, cheaper, and can read and write to Bluray, HD-DVD, DVD and CD. I wouldn't be suprised if Ricoh is paid off to keep this out of the market for awhile.

3. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Wouldn't Rioch still require a license from both camps to read the audio/video streams? Reading bits is one thing but decoding them could be the real show stopper.

4. David Allum

David Allum Stunt Coordinator

This report from Forbes says that Ricoh was "aiming to commercialize this technology as soon as the end of next year".

5. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

That's an intersting point, and the Forbes article doesn't mention this at all. If I recall there's an article that deals with the issue of Sony would look into a dual format player so that the investment into BD would not be all together lost. If Ricoh can commercialize this product by the end of the year, this license issue may actually be addressed by all manufactures and movie production companies to get the best bang out of their investment.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Yes they would. This will be the biggest obstacle to overcome and I highly doubt either camp is going to give it up to do so by the end of the year.

Developing the player is the easy part, getting it out onto the sales floor is another.

7. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    If Ricoh's product proves that dual-format player is not only easily doable but also economically viable, that might increase the pressure from the hardware manufacturers on the two camps to allow it.

The companies are in business to make money and they probably realize they can make more selling a product that can play anything.

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
  9. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul