What's new

Rick James Dead at 56 (1 Viewer)

Eman_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
Truly a shocker to hear this.

I remember the first time I heard "Superfreak". Sadly it was otherwise known as "Can't Touch This". But the more I listened to his music, the more he deserved the title of True Funkmaster.

RIP, dude.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I bet Eddie and Charlie Murphy are upset. I wonder if this will effect the talked about movie about the life of Rick James. I also wonder if this will prompt Comedy Central to include extra interview footage of Rick James or some kind of memorial or montage on the upcomming Chappelles Show Season 2 DVD set.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Sad news.

James' life is one of the oddest in the world of pop music. I have always wanted to hear the stuff he recorded as part of the Mynah Birds - a band that included Neil Young. Neil Young and Rick James in the same band with James wearing a sailor's suit! People thought it was a gimmic. The mind boggles. Unfortunately, James was later arrested for going AWOL from the Navy and the band fell apart and their studio cuts were never released. But for Young and James, even wackier days were ahead. :)

Keep on funkin' where ever you are, Rick.

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
While I never cared for his music, I know he had a lot of talent and was addled by drugs. This is sad.

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
There's a thread over in the music area. A new generation had the opportunity to experience his music and persona via Dave Chappelle.

God Speed

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
"They shoulda never gave you %!**@$ money"

"I would never do something like that for no reason....Yeah I remember diggin my feet into Eddie Murphy's couch"

"Hold my drink bitch, I'm Rick James"

just a few classic lines to go with the others. Such a great episode. always makes me smile.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I feel for Rick and his family... Had it not been for him, I never would of heard that which was Hammer... ;( He seemed to enjoy Dave's character, and that only makes me like him more.

Ryan

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
My best memory of Rick James isn't of him or his music. Or, ahem, the Mary Jane Girls, but the lyrics of "Super Freak".

This happened on a short-lived comedy on the Fox network. The name of the show? I can't remember that, but I remember it starred Vivica A. Fox and Jon Cryer. In this particular episode, they were trying to "rescue" a friend from a "bad" girl. As they were standing outside their friend's apartment....

Fox: She's a very kinky girl. The kind you don't take home to mother.

Cryer: When I >>got here

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, if I remember the accusations correctly, burning a young girl with a crack pipe after beating her isn't really a "respectable" thing to do...but he served his time so I will respect him for his funky musical contributions that are still referenced by many bands to this day.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
He served his time and denied doing it till the day he died. I tend to trust celebrities over scandelous women anyway.

Michael Jackson is a diffent story all together.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks