What's new

RICHARD WIDMARK COLLECTION? (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
I've always admired Fox for their creativity in packaging concepts (John Brahm Horror Collections), series (Moto, Chan, Mike Shayne). stars (Tyrone Power, Joan Collins, Bette Davis), and literature (Hemingway), but there remains plenty of films from one of their most important contract players Richard Widmark that have yet to make their way to homevideo or dvd: SLATTERY'S HURRICANE, ROAD HOUSE, DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS, RED SKIES OF MONTANA, MY PAL GUS, DESTINATION GOBI. These films certainly reflect the range of a gifted and historically-underrated actor whose range from noir to war to domestic drama to westerns embraced all genres.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would second that boxset. Mr. Widmark was an excellent actor that could play the hero or villain with equal ability. Besides Kirk Douglas, I think Widmark is the oldest male star still alive from the Golden Age of film.

Edit: Just checked, he's older than Kirk Douglas at 93 years of age.

Crawdaddy

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am sold on this great suggestion. I enjoyed Mr. Widmark performace in THE LAST WAGON to the point that I hunted DVD's that I did not haveown that included him in the cast. At least we will get THE WAY WEST in May.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Another suggestion I have for a surviving star collection from Fox is Maureen O'Hara who contributed commentaries to MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET and THE BLACK SWAN: Fox could released 10 GENTLEMEN FROM WEST POINT, DO YOU LOVE ME?, SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY, THE HOMESTRETCH, FATHER WAS A FULLBACK, KANGAROO, THE FOXES OF HARROW, FORBIDDEN STREET, and THE MAGNIFICENT MATADOR. Her commentaries on the two Fox films were terrific, and her work at Fox was as important as her contribution to the Wayne/John Ford films.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've always loved Widmark and would jump on a box of his films.

Who owns the rights to John Ford's "Two Rode Together" with Jimmy Stewart and Widmark? There's a film that I'd love to own.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Columbia/Sony owns TWO RODE TOGETHER. It's one of many James Stewart, John Ford, and Richard Widmark films that the studio is "literally" sitting on is unlikely to release to dvd.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'd love a DVD release of Roadhouse and would second the suggestion for this set as well! Widmark's one of my fave actors transcending all genres!

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore
how could I, Jefty, not add my voice to THIS chorus!

of course we need Road House--and I'd buy any boxed set that includes it!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I am another one that would love to see a Richard Widmark Collection from Fox.
And not only that, I think a Maureen O'Hara box set is long overdue. My choices would be Sentimental Journey, The Foxes of Harrow, Father was a Fullback and Sitting Pretty.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Ooops! I forgot about SITTING PRETTY and I'd love to see the MR. BELVEDERE trilogy or better yet......the Clifton Webb Collection.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I've wanted "Slattery's Hurricane" and "Road House" for a long time. I remember at one point when "Road House" was actually listed on the release schedules as an Anchor Bay release -- of course the release was 'pulled' before it ever became available.

True, Columbia is still sitting on a lot of great titles; however, if I remember correctly, "The Bedford Incident" was a Columbia title, and I am at least happy that one made it out the door, as it is one of my favorite Widmark films. If it is still in print, I would recommend it to anybody looking for a Widmark film.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
An almost forgotten Richard Widmark classic is 'When The Legends Die' from the early 70's. I'm pretty sure it's a Fox film, so I'd like to see that included in any collection.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
I suppose what's sad is that the thing that would probably trigger such a collection is his death. I think there was some talk of giving him a lifetime achievement award, that might've helped as well.

Some of these stars need to be on record (aka DVD special features etc) soon before they're all gone. If Mr. Widmark wants to talk that is, maybe he doesnt want to participate. I tend to recall that he's a very private individual.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
I would love to see MY PAL GUS (52), a very neat film we seldom hear about.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
The movie I want most starring Richard Widmark is Run for the Sun. Who owns this film??

And because I like Jimmy Stewart & Widmark, I'd like to see Two Rode Together.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
It's not a good sign when you search for a name like "Widmark" on Fox Movie Channel's website and get only three matches on the schedule, but RED SKIES OF MONTANA is resurfacing tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10 a.m. ET and airs again at 8 a.m. April 9. I don't think it's been on in some time. Sometimes a spiffy-looking FMC copy will herald a DVD release for a certain title, so this broadcast might bear watching (so to speak).

DOWN TO THE SEA IN SHIPS is coming on at 11:30 a.m. April 4. The already-available HALLS OF MONTEZUMA is the only other Widmark title FMC is showing in the next month.

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
A Richard Widmark Collection is long overdue, though many of his best film noir and some westerns have been released. There are still a lot of his lesser known titles, not likely to sell well individually, which when packaged together, would make two good selling box sets.

It believe it was Mike LaSalle from the San Francisco Chronicle, though it could have been Leonard Malten or Roger Ebert, that said it was about time, while he still alive, for the Academy to honor him with a lifetime Oscar. For that matter the AFI could honor him or the National Film Registry pick one of his films.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I would hope that MGM/UA/Fox would bring out TIME LIMIT and RUN FOR THE SUN also. Warner needs to bring out Preminger's SAINT JOAN and maybe THE MOON IS BLUE. Two major books have just been released on Preminger, and I recommend highly Fox's terrific dvd treatment of DAISY KENYON.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks