What's new

Richard Pryor passes away (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm moving it to Movies instead of AHL, because the bulk of Pryor's surviving work was in that medium. Even his amazing stand-up work survives in various concert films.

M.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Yeah, an Academy award nominee deserves to be here in movies. God, this man was funny. All those laughs from so much tragedy. I'd call Pryor the first African American comedian to bring racial topics into comedy. He was, indeed by his own admission, raw and real but brilliantly capable of making the most sensitive topics hilarious. I don't know anyone who thought he'd survive his crack accident when he suffered third degree burns over much of his upper body, much less perform again, but he came back and took the horror of his experience and turned it into one of his funniest routines without relying on pity to get applause.

Thanks Richard!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Richard Pryor is on a pretty short list that I keep in my head. It includes Bill Hicks,
George Carlin, Sam Kinison, Lenny Bruce
and on his better days, Chris Rock.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Man :frowning: Really sad news. Rest in Peace, Mr. Pryor :frowning:

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I heard about this on the radio while walking home and it just seemed to knock the wind out of me. Very few incite this sort of reaction from me, but Richard Pryor was so damn brilliant...:frowning: RIP.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This man made me laugh for so many years and it's really sad that this great comedian is gone from us. May he R.I.P.

Crawdaddy

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
He was the king. Every comedian working today owes a debt to him.
What a loss:frowning: Yet another example of why we need to beat diseases like MS sooner rather than later.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
All time favorite Richard Pryor joke...

"FIIIIRE"

His ability to make fun of himself in the most dire of times opened him up to his audience in a way most comics would never do. Amazing talent, paved the way for all comedians.

Rest in Peace.

Ryan

paul_v

Second Unit
RIP Richard. He was the funniest comedians ever.

I'm sure he's up in heaven having a coke and a smile and telling us to shut the f*ck up

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
At least Richard didn't suffer when it was his time to go.

Without him, there wouldn't be stand-up comedy, or if there still would be... it wouldn't be as good.

The man was way before his time... and hopefully now he's making crowds laugh in Heaven. RIP Richard Pryor.

Hopefully, the studios will release more of his work on DVD. I especially found his performance in "Some Kind of Hero" to be very moving; it definitely showed that he had great range as an actor. Hopefully I can enjoy his great performance again someday.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Sad passing. I've enjoyed everyone of his movies and his stand up comedy. Chris Rock or David Chapell are nothing next to Richard Pryor.

When that fire hit your ass, it will sober your ass up quick!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks