Richard Linklater films

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SammyPinski, Jun 9, 2002.

1. SammyPinski

SammyPinski Auditioning

Hi. I recently saw Waking Life (on dvd) and I absolutely loved it. I would like to familiarize myself with other Richard Linklater films, but the one other one I have seen, Dazed and Confused, was very different from Waking Life, and not nearly as good. So based on my opinion of those two, can you suggest where to start? Here’s the list of his directing that I pulled off of IMDB.

Director – filmography

Tape (2001)
    Waking Life (2001)
    Newton Boys, The (1998)
    SubUrbia (1996)
    ... aka [email protected] (1996)
    Before Sunrise (1995)
    Dazed and Confused (1993)
    Slacker (1991)
    It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books (1988)

TIA!
    Sammy

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I like "Dazed" a lot (might have something to do with growing up in Tx), but hands-down the most similar Linklater film to "Waking Life" is his first: the great indie-classic "Slacker" (not to be confused with the dreadful "Slackers" of last year).

Next, you should probably check out "Before Sunrise". Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke reprise their roles from this movie in "Waking Life", as do many other Linklater characters from films past (the main character in "Waking" is from "Dazed", and many of the other characters/real persons he meets first appear in "Slacker", etc.).

My favorite Linklaters (in order):
    Waking Life
    Slacker
    Before Sunrise
    Dazed and Confused
    Tape (a one-act drama shot in a single room on DV.)

(Not as big a fan of "The Newton Boys" or "Suburbia".)

3. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Linkater's films from best to worst:

Dazed and Confused (1993)
    Linklater's best film. One of the most accurate portraits of adolescence ever committed to film.

Before Sunrise (1995)
    Many beautiful moments, heightened by lush Vienna setting. But it also encompasses the academic lecture-making which is the worst attribute of Linklater's films.

SubUrbia (1996)
    Clearly this is a piece of theater, not cinema, but it's entertaining and with a good cast. Pretty depressing, though.

Waking Life (2001)
    If it wasn't animated it might have been the most awful, slovenly piece of digital filmmaking to ever be released theatrically. The characters don't converse, they only berate each other (and the audience) with humorless Philosophy 101 lectures. BUT, the animation is stunning, and after a while you really feel like you've been pulled into a dream. Though I generally dislike the movie, it is unmissable.

The Newton Boys (1998)
    Better than its reputation, though generally forgettable period-piece.

Slacker (1991)
    Well, if you weren't annoyed by Waking Life...

Tape (2001)
    Haven't seen it.

It's Impossible to Learn to Plow by Reading Books (1988)
    Haven't seen it. Don't know if it's available.

Mark

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Sammy-
    First off, welcome to the HTF.
    Of Linklater's films, the only one I think is truly bad is The Newton Boys. You won't even be able to tell it's a Linklater flick. Just boring and predictable.
    I really like Before Sunrise, although it took me 2 viewings to appreciate it.
    I didn't like Waking Life at all, but I admit it was an interesting experiment.
    The cool thing about Linklater is that he's sort of a Soderbergh Jr. He refuses to be pigeonholed into one genre, which is why you get a great teen comedy one minute, a period western the next (even if it is pretty awful), a romantic comedy the next...and then something like Waking Life.
    I could dislike his next three movies and still be interested in his upcoming projects. You never know which direction he'll head in next.

5. Shane Gralaw

Shane Gralaw Second Unit

I blame Linklater for every random moron in Austin thinking that everyone wants to hear their crappy, half-baked philosophical ramblings. Thanks, Rick.

6. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

7. SammyPinski

SammyPinski Auditioning

I had no idea that Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke were reoccurring characters. I will definitely check out Slacker asap. Thanks for the information.

TIA!

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Sammy, Ethan and Julie first showed up in "Before Sunrise"... not "Slacker"!... but "Slacker" is the most "Waking Life-ish" of all Linklater's other movies.

9. Jeff Willy

Jeff Willy Agent

Dazed and Confused is a tremendous party film. When friends come over to have a drink before heading out for the night, it is one of the few films I always plop into the DVD. More great lines in that film than most comedies put together.

"You know what I like about these high school girls? I keep gettin' older and they stay the same age. Yes they do."
    -Wooderson

Also, Parker Posey is at her best in this movie.