What's new

Richard Linkater to direct a 12-year project. Sounds cool! (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I always wondered what it would be like to shoot a movie with an actor as a child, then shoot the rest of the movie either as they grew up or when they were an adult (since movies usually have to have separate actors for the child and adult versions of the same character). I guess this is the closest thing.

Interesting idea.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Richard Linklater is my god. Always coming up with one interesting, innovative idea after another, and I can't wait to see how this idea of his turns out.

Jason

MichaelAW

Second Unit
This reminds me of the British 7-up series, which followed a group of kids every seven years, starting in the 1960s. The latest release, 49-up (?), came out a few years ago.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I am personally grateful for Richard Linklater. It is his innovations and capabilities which give so much energy and vibrance to the Independent movement. He is the "star" of the independent circuit, and for good reason.

Bruce

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Then Linklater ends up with a short film. :)
I actually came up with this movie idea, to show the growth of a person from childhood to adulthood, years ago after realizing that I always liked the child actor more than the teenager/young adult of the same character in movies.
~T

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I love Linklater, I appreciate the fact he is trying to do something different and innovative. It will certainly be an interesting result. This guy's mind is getting better as the years progress :)

Butch C

Second Unit
What if the kid turns out to be an ugly bastard, or a filthy junkie, or a real degenarate douchebag, or a huge star demanding huge money, or kills someone, or Linklater finds that he thinks the actor has become a massive asshole?

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Didn't Kubrick have a similar idea at one point?
There were rumors (apparently started by Dark Horizons) that Kubrick was secretly shooting A.I. in bits and pieces over a period of several years, with Joseph Mazzello in the lead role. (This was before anybody had really solid details on what the storyline of A.I. would be.) As it turns out the rumor was false; it came about because Kubrick had Mazzello under contract for two years because he wanted him to star in Aryan Papers, a Holocaust drama that never got off the ground for various reasons.

On a somewhat related note, Lars von Trier has shooting a film in three-minute chunks every year since 1991 called Dimension; it's supposed to be done in 2024. I have no clue what it's about.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Hoop Dreams did the same sorta thing... following the lives of 2 kids for 5 years.

I wouldn't consider this innovative... but it's interesting nontheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks