Richard & Linda Thompson Shoot Out The Lights-My favorite pop SACD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I am completely new to these fine musicians. I remember Stereophile raving about Richard's "The Old Kit Bag" but I was not prepared for such a finely crafted, near perfect pop/rock/folk (?) recording.

The sonics are stellar, even the Red Book sounds good. Guitar and vocals are superbly recorded and there is just some great songs on this album about the couple's breakup.

I highly recommend this if you like guitar music at all or are a fan of these two superb musician's.

I am left wondering "where have I been?"...and "why are these guys not better known?"

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Richard and Linda Thompson, and their stellar album, are quite well known in the right circles, Lee. :wink: The sound of the album, as you allude to, is the sound of a couple breaking up.

Glad you discovered this gem. I have always dug "Wall of Death."

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think they are critics darlings but less well know by the public. Maybe the new SACD will raise awareness. [​IMG]

4. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    This is one of those albums I have heard about for a long time yet have never actually heard. I had no idea it was coming out on SACD. I will definitely have to pick it up.

What label is it on??

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Interestingly enough, it is the first SACD release by Rykodisc. [​IMG]

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  7. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I love the song "Dimming of the Day."

David Gilmour did a cover of it on his "In Concert" DVD that was fantastic.[​IMG]

8. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

I'd heard of RT before, but Gilmour's version of that song convinced me to check out a Thompson CD. I started w/The Old Kit Bag (Lee, get this CD immediately if not sooner) about a year ago and I've been enjoying his stuff since.

I can't wait to hear this SACD, but from the link this appears to only be available at select stores. Anyone know if this will get a wider release?

9. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Richard Thompson is a long time favorite of mine from way back to his days with Fairport Convention, a great British folk-rock group. Songs like Wall of Death and Shoot Out the Lights are favorites from that CD (SACD in your case). I think it was Rolling Stone that said something to the effect that you could take out all the lyrics/singing and the album would still be one of the best recordings ever made.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    When Rolling Stone published their first big "100 best" list issue in Fall of 1987 for their 20th Anniversary, "Shoot Out the Lights" was ranked #24 in the "Top 100 Albums of the Last 20 Years". It was just ahead of "The Doors" and just behind "Layla".

In 1990, when they did their "100 Greatest Albums of the 80s", it was ranked #9.

Regards,

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Very interesting...thank Ken for this.

12. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

If you ever get the chance to see Richard live, do not miss it, Lee. Witty between songs patter, at least 7 fingers on each hand playing his guitar, just a great great time

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I will definitely try to see him. I am very impressed after hearing this album.

Now if they can just get Old Kit Bag out on Super Audio. [​IMG]

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Couldn't find this one at Newbury Comics, Virgin, or Best Buy... [​IMG]

15. Rob M.

Rob M. Stunt Coordinator

From your keyboard to some label's release schedule....

I answered my own question from an earlier post. This is available for $12.99 (plus tax) at circuitcity.com. Currently on backorder, but I placed an order anyway.

16. Charlie-W

Charlie-W Extra

I ordered this from Circuit City last week, and it arrived today. However, it doesn't say ANYWHERE on the front or back cover that it is the SACD version. Can anyone who has it already tell me what the case should look like, before I open it?

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think my SACD says "Super Audio" inside the spine of the disc.

18. Charlie-W

Charlie-W Extra

Thanks for the reply. Does the back cover on the SACD say so anywhere? The one Circuit City sent me doesn't mention SACD ANYWHERE, so I'm a little worried they sent me a regular CD version. And if I open it to see, they won't let me return it.

-Charlie

19. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

This was a problem for me when I ordered the Death Cab For Cutie "Transatlanticism" SACD from Buy.com. They sent me the regular CD version twice. This SACD isn't in a super jewel case, and is only identified as such via tiny DSD and SACD logos on the back cover. Otherwise, it's identical to the redbook release. (BTW, this is a phenomenal sounding SACD, and one of the finest pop-rock releases I've heard in the last few years.... highly recommended.)

I still can't find this one in stock at any of the usual places in Boston (except I haven't checked Circuit City, which requires a bit more effort for me to get to). I wouldn't think this one would be so hard to track down (or identify).

I gotta say, they aren't making this easy on the consumers, even those of us who are somewhat more clue'd into this stuff.

20. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    You can say that again. Like the rest of you, I have been unable to find the SotL SACD locally. Oh well, looks like Amazon has it, and it's explicitly listed as Hybrid SACD. We'll see what happens.