What's new

Richard Grey Power (1 Viewer)

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone currently use any of the Richard Grey Power company products in their Home theater systems? If so any sonic improvements or comments onn these? Also can someone suggest an internet vendor that may sell these at a good price.

Thanks,

Troy

JasonZ

Agent
i am currently using the richard grey power company in my system. the results are truly astonishing. not much of a difference in the audio but the picture on my television was dramatically improved. i work at a home theater store and we have this unit hooked up to everything from $2000 rear pros to $25k plasma displays. everything just looks better, more depth, more detail. highly recommended. instead of buying on-line you should contact your local dealer, i am sure that they will lend you the unit to see if it works for you. it might cost you more than buying it on the net but this way you can try before you buy.
if you dont have a local dealer feel free to contact me, [email protected]. i can probably help you out.
-jason

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I had 2 RGPC 400s's. I thought I could detect small improvements in my video sources, but not much for audio (digital or analog).
I switched to an Equi=Tech balanced power unit, and I feel that did more overall for my system than the RGPC units.
One example, I have a halogen lamp on the same circuit as my HT. With an Adcom ACE-615 powering my system, could hear the hum from the interaction of my 2 Acurus A200x3 amps and the lamp at my listening position. With the RGPC's, the hum was only detectable if I put my ear up to the amps. With the ET, no hum period.
Check out the power conditioner reviews at Link Removed for some other reviews.

Gareth

Stunt Coordinator
Troy,

I have 4 Richard Grays. I did some research on this earlier this month and actually on Kevin's advice I'm trying out an Equi=tech 2RQFM.

The Richard Grays produce astonishing video results. Clarity, detail, and black is truly black. I have not seen any audio improvements however. I also had ground loop issues (subwoofer humming).

The Equi=Tech produced amazing audio results and some video enhancement by itself. When I plugged all the components into the Equi=tech and turned them on, the first thing that hit me was how quiet the room was.

I haven't had time to A-B these two completely, but I plugged the TV into the Richard Gray and found that the video quality increased significantly. I have to see how I can mix these two to get the best results.

Gareth

PS All components/power sources are connected through a brickwall 20A surge protector into a dedicated 20A circuit.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
From my research and fromtalk with audiophile retailers, they seem to conclude that it's a waste of money. They said that audio wise forgetaboutit and video-wise as well.
It was surprising to me the negative reaction, espcially since some of these guys I know are totally into tweaks of all sorts.
I could have bought a unit for $750, but ultimately balked b/c I couldn't get anyone to lend a positive review of this thing. :frowning:

Luis C

Stunt Coordinator
Why do you need a positive review? They have a money-back guarantee! Try it out for yourself! An aweful lot of high-end HT installers are using them... don't be swayed by others opinions, try things yourself!:emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
They might have trashed it because they don't sell them! :)
I shopped a few local stereo/HT stores near me for AC power products. To a T, they either carried Monster, or nothing.
The new Monster 7000 has balanced power, but the rest of their line are just expensive filters.
Gareth- Dang dude! :) I have the 2Q with MOVs, and I was actually thinking about running it through a Brickwall for non-sacrificial surge suppression. Same but different: 20A circuit but not dedicated (entire family room).

Gareth

Stunt Coordinator
I just reconfigured the system tonight and saw a vast improvement in audio and video quality.

One dedicated 20A outlet, 2 plugs. My 7 channel amp goes into one of those plugs as per Richard Gray instructions. A Richard Gray 400 goes into the other plug. The 3 other richard gray units go into that primary 400. The brickwall surge protector goes into the last remaining plug. The Equi=tech goes into the brickwall.

All source equipment goes into the Equi=Tech. I also have 4 sub amps feeding off the Equi=tech. I watched We Were Soldiers tonight again and everything tightened up incredibly well.

The Richard Grays definitely cleaned up the video, and the 7 speakers are now much "quieter" and dynamic.

I was planning on selling the RG's, but I'm going to play with the configuration a bit more before making a decision.

In response to the original post, they do make a difference for your amp and for your video picture. Just make sure you follow the instructions. Also, they are correct when they say you need to let them "charge up" for several hours.

Cheers,

Gareth

PS Kevin, if you still have those Richard Grays, I'd definitely put them in the circuit, esp. since you are sharing the circuit with other outlets in the room. I'd be interested if you hear a difference.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Gareth- My RGPC's are long gone.
One other tidbit that bothered me: If you look at the power conditioner reviews, and specifically the summary, on Secrets: Link Removed , they were supposed to review a Richard Gray last year. They never did. I heard a rumor that it's because when the tested it, that they couldn't see/hear/or measure *any* difference with it.
Now I thought I did notice some differences in my system with them, but, regardless of the differences I did see/hear, the Equi=Tech was a much greater improvement. And because the ET cost so much (and I *still* got 35% off of list), I couldn't justify keeping the RGPCs...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks