What's new

Richard gray vs PS Ultimate Outlet (1 Viewer)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I'm trying to tweak my RPTV (Mits 55805). Currently, I using one Richard Gray Power unit for the TV. I have three others for the front end components and amps. The RGP helped in terms of colors, blacks and sharpness...but I'm trying to tweak the system to remove the background noise.

WOuld a PS Audio 300 be a better fit than a RGP for the TV or should I add a PS Ulimate outlet with the RGP? I'm going to install a FIM electrical outlet next week to see if that helps too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ron

PS: The TV has been ISF calibrated too.

RicP

Screenwriter
Hi Ron,
I use a 20 amp PS Audio Ultimate Outlet in my system and it made a fairly significant difference. I have my amp plugged into one of the outlets and my Monster Center plugged into the other.
There were improvements when I added the UO and if I remove it from the chain, there are immediate differences esp on the TV.
:)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Thanks Ric....

An AVS memeber suggested the JR power source outlet. It runs about the same. He said it cleared up the background noise on his set.

Ron

With the Amp and Monster PowerCenter plugged into the Ultimate Outlet, aren't you exceeding 20A?

For example (mind you, these are max amperage ratings)

The Denon 4802 uses 11.5A

Subwoofer =~ couple of Amps

That would leave approximately 5A for TV, DVD, powered towers, etc.....

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Bang for the buck, I would look at a "balanced power" unit. Check out the Power Conditioner reviews at Secrets, Link Removed . The P300 is a fine unit, but is expensive for what you get, and it is limited in terms of power output.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Ron, I would suggest buying the PS Audio unit from Audioadvisor.com since they have an excellent return policy which I have successfully used on more than 1 occassion.
FWIW, I have 2 RGPC units chained in my system. They definitely help the image on my Tosh RPTV. I am also thinking about adding a power plant for my analog setup.:)

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Kevin:

Thanks for the suggestion....but as John would tell you (he was nice enough to give the same suggestion at AVS) the review doesn't address the effect on a RPTV. But they do offer a 30 day MBG, so I may have to audtion the unit.

Larry:

I'm also happy with the RGPC in my system, but I wanted to see if there is a reasonable cost solution to the background noise on my Mits RPTV. I've been meaning to upgrade my wall outlets w/the FIM units. I have one on the way, it maybe the solution I need, but I doubt it. I know John uses the ultimate outlet, another has suggested the Jon Risch Power center (I think that's the name) and a couple of suggestions for the Balanced Power unit. All three are in a fair price range (if the BPT's are that good, I'd be willing to poney up the extra). All three offer a thirty day audition program. Anyother feedback besides panamax or monster power centers is appreciated.

Thanks

Ron Boster

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
John- I got an Equitech based on the reviews in Secrets, among other places. (I got a really good deal cruising the "refurb, dealer closeout" part of their site. Equitechs are expensive, and Balanced Power Technology is cheaper, but it's still all "balanced power".)

And... I *used* to have 2 RGPC units.

The Equitech is a lot quieter. (I could tell from the transformer hum I get from my 2 Acurus A200x3 amps. Adcom ACE 615 was the worst, followed by the RGPC, followed by the Equitech being the best, i.e., none.)

Users who are viewing this thread