Richard Fleischer dir 20,000 Leagues, Tora! Tora! Tora! passed away 3/25/2006

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TonyD, Mar 25, 2006.

1. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...8GJ1I880.shtml

did a search but didnt see anything.

"(AP) Richard Fleischer, who directed several memorable films from sci-fi classics such as "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" to war movies as "Tora! Tora! Tora!", has died. He was 89.

Fleischer died Saturday of natural causes at the Motion Picture and Television Hospital in Woodland Hills, said his son, Mark...."

2. CoreyII

CoreyII Second Unit

I believe he also directed Conan the Destroyer. And if I'm not mistaken I think he is the relative of Dave and Max Fleischer (the Superman and Popeye cartoons).

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Max was his father and Dave his uncle. He directed some fine films and below is a partial list of his films. He would've been 90 this year, so he lived a long life. May he R.I.P.
    • Compulsion
    • The Narrow Margin
    • Follow Me Quietly
    • Armored Car Robbery
    • Violent Saturday
    • The Vikings
    • Barabbas
    • Fantastic Journey
    • The Boston Strangler
    • The New Centurions
    • Soylent Green
    • Tora!Tora!Tora!
    • Conan the Destroyer
    • Dr. Dolittle
    • The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing
    • 20,0000 Leagues Under the Sea

Crawdaddy

4. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

Woah, that is sad. As chance would have it, I watched Fantastic Voyage last night! Interesting in that it was cut fast, even by the standards of late CinemaScope.

The Narrow Margin remains an inspirational piece of low budget film making. That film alone puts him above 85% of film makers working now in my book.

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Wow sad news, a varied career, Fleischer directed two of my favorite sci-fi films, the Disney classic 20.000 Leagues Under the Sea, and Fantastic Voyage. Other favorites include The Vikings and Tora! Tora! Tora!

Governer Schwarzenegger, who starred in two of his films praised Fleischer as "a true Hollywood legend. He was a man of great talent and an extraordinary director who leaves behind a legacy of amazing films."

RIP [​IMG]

6. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    One night in the early 70's I stayed up late watching "Compulsion", I think it was over at 2 am or so, and had a 7 am tee time. I remember getting to the course barely on time but right before my friend who looked as tired as I did who had done the same thing. We discussed the film and I speculated Orson Welles had directed it but checked Leonard Maltin's guide that afternoon and found differently. I have seen many of his films since then, he was a fine director.

Chris

7. eric tengren

eric tengren Stunt Coordinator

This guy was one of the most underrated directors. he made excellent films in many genres.Mr.Majestyk was a personal favorite and the Boston Strangler.The Narrow Margin is the ultimate noir in a can.It is a shame that directors of so called "b" pictures do not get the recognition they deserve. Seek out this man's work.
    R.I.P.

8. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

I agree with Scorsese when he says often the B films are more interesting. Less money sometimes equaled more freedom.

To me Fleischer was a professional, as you point out, he could work in many different genres, but still make an excellent film. I don't me "professional" in the condescending "uninspired / generic" sense. I mean it in the Vincente Minnelli sense, working within the studio system to produce films that represent dedication to film making as an art.

A film I failed to mention earlier is the Robert Wagner, war film called Between Heaven and Hell (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049004/) I think that's a Fleischer film that has been under rated.

9. JackKay

JackKay Second Unit

Very sad indeed. Lovely man who did great commentaries.

Just Tell Me When to Cry: A Memoir, is a book he wrote.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert

Yes, it was one of his films. The man direced many films over the course of 40 years or more. Early in his career, he directed shorts then graduated to "B" films, mostly film noirs and from there up to "A" films. Even some of his films that the critics thought were average or bad, I liked personally, as an example "Barabbas".

By the way, Fox is releasing two of his films in May on dvd. They are "Compulsion" and "These Thousand Hills".

Crawdaddy

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Correction: Fleischer had nothing to do with Conan the Barbarian. He directed Conan the Destroyer, a black mark on his resume IMO.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert

I guess you didn't like Red Sonja either? Anyhow, as an almost 70 year old director it helped towards his retirement years.

Crawdaddy

13. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

You got it, Robert. My favorites of his on your list are 20kLUTS and Soylent Green.

14. Robert Crawford

Robert

Not surprising, since the Conan-related films were among his weakest efforts, but I can't think of many directors that ended their directing careers with some of their best films. I guess directors aren't much different than the rest of us that towards the end, we're just not as sharp as when we were in the prime of our careers.

Crawdaddy

15. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

RIP

Fleischer directed some excellent films. My favorites being 20,0000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Vikings, Fantastic Voyage, The Narrow Margin, Soylent Green.

16. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson

Don't forget MANDINGO. And many loathe DOCTOR DOLITTLE as well, though I have a soft spot in my heart for it because I loved it as a child.

I'm a huge fan of 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, myself; far and away the best live-action adventure film from Disney, with excellent performances all around. NARROW MARGIN and FOLLOW ME QUIETLY are also crackerjack.

17. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    he did a nice commentary track for conan the destroyer for the region 2 and 4 edition.

Jacob

18. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

I've always felt that Fleischer's BARABBAS was an excellent and underrated film, one of the more thoughtful of the widescreen Biblical epics. Every movie he ever made, even those that weren't "A" material, were always professionally and competent. May he rest in peace.

19. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

I'm with you, Robert (and Larry). I've always thought BARABBAS was a good film.

I'm a big SOYLENT GREEN fan too, and I'm so happy that Richard Fleischer got to do a very informative audio commentary for the R1 DVD a couple of years back. He had a mind as sharp as a razor and recalled many details.

20. Mario Gauci

Mario Gauci Cinematographer

Even though he did get to live a long life and consequently hadn't worked in some time, I was still saddened by his passing.

For the record, from what I've seen of his work, I think that THE NARROW MARGIN (1952) and his two films with Kirk Douglas - 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA (1954) and THE VIKINGS (1958) - were his best films. Interestingly, after honing his craft on noirs, he subsequently went on to make 3 excellent dramas about real-life murders: COMPULSION (1959), THE BOSTON STRANGLER (1968) and 10 RILLINGTON PLACE (1971).

Hopefully, later on this week I'll find the time to watch BODYGUARD (1948), THE CLAY PIGEON (1949) and FOLLOW ME QUIETLY (1949) - which I have on VHS - and BETWEEN HEVAEN AND HELL (1956) - which is available to rent locally on DVD. Incidentally, I also intended to tape THE SPIKES GANG (1974) which is getting shown on TV on Tuesday but now I think I'll try to watch it sooner rather than later.

I agree that BARABBAS (1961) is a very fine example of Biblical epics and DOCTOR DOOLITTLE (1967) may have been a box office disappointment but it does have its undeniable charm. As for Fleischer's "weaker" efforts, I enjoyed CONAN THE DESTROYER (1984) and RED SONJA (1985) for what they were when I watched them as a kid.

Anyhow, I will eventually be adding more Fleischer films to my DVD collection: COMPULSION, TORA! TORA! TORA! (1970), 10 RILLINGTON PLACE and SOYLENT GREEN (1973).