What's new

Richard Biggs - RIP (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I just heard that Rick Biggs passed away. I can't believe it! :frowning:

I never had the pleasure of meeting the man, but by all accounts, he was one of the good guys.

Sad news indeed, especially at a mere 43 years of age.

RIP Richard.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've always heard that he was a really cool dude at conventions, one of the nicest to the fans.

As an actor, he always held the role with dignity, even if there were periods where he was given the weakest part in B5 (unfortunately, the only place I've seen him).

I've often thought that he could have been a breakout superstar with his talent and looks under different cirumstances.

A damn shame.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Patrick for making a separate thread.

I think I read that JMS said (or heard him say it in DVD commentary) that Richard Biggs could handle with ease whatever complicated gobbledygook lines that JMS would put into a script, whenever JMS needed some science-fictiony technobabble to be explained for the story, he would have Doctor Franklin do it.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Truly sad news. I had the great pleasure of hanging out with Rick for quite a long time at a convention a couple of years ago. He was a generous host; going down with us to the hotel bar and even inviting us into his hotel room to hang out. He was a very smart, friendly, and funny guy. I am glad that I got to know him, even for such a short time.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
An open Memorial service will be held for the special friends of Richard Biggs on today, Wednesday May 26 at 1 PM CT at:

Emmanual Lutheran Church,
6020 Radford,
North Hollywood, CA.

A "memory book" is being assembled for Rick's two sons. To share Best Wishes, Stories, Memories and Photos with the family please send them to:

R.J. and Hunter Biggs
1052 W Alemeda #350
Burbank, CA 91506

(this is a PO Box set up for the family, by the family)

In Lieu of flowers and gifts the Family has asked that donation be sent to:

The Benefit of the Children for Richard James Biggs II
Washington Mutual Bank
840 N San Fernando Blvd
Burbank, CA 91502

Anyone who is moved to make a contribution to the fund who happens to bank with Washington Mutual, as I do, you should be able to make a direct transfer to that account from one of your own accounts and not even have to bother with checks and envelopes. Call or stop by your local branch for details.

Anyone wishing to send a condolence card to Rick's family can send it to:

Mrs. Lori Biggs
c/o Pat Tallman
6433 Topanga Canyon Blvd. #207
Canoga Park, CA 91303

And again you can "sign" the special forum at The Galactic Gateway mentione above. Here's Pat Tallman's message about the sentiments posted there:

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Some of you may be familiar with the work of John Hudgens, who worked on the official B5 "music videos" for the show - clips from the show, with and without sound, cut in time to some appropriate piece of music. (I'm not sure if his work is part of the blooper reels seen at conventions, or if he's just done the later "vidoes".) John hasn't put together anything like that in four years, but he was moved to produce a tribute video for Rick Biggs.

I don't have QuickTime installed on my office PC, so don't know what this looks like or how well it works, but here's the link

Regards,

Joe

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That's a great little tribute. Thanks for posting the link, Joe.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Well, it helps that he used the music from "Sleeping In Light". ;)

Very well done.

Jason

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
As a rabid fan of B5, I identified with Biggs' character of Dr. Franklin more than any other in the show.

I'll definitely miss him, and I'm very sad for all who know and love him.

Thanks for the link, Joe. That was a nice tribute.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I was extemely lucky and knew a friend of Rick's who lives in Cleveland. When cons came to the midwest, my friend would take me to the con and much of the weekend was spent hanging out with Rick at the table and then, in the evening, at dinner, the bar etc. The last time I got to hang with Rick, we were out shopping at a local mall for his youngest son's birthday. He was extremely fun, a quality gent and a fine actor. Even more impressive was his dedication so the craft. While most actors from sci-fi are just happy to collect their 20 bucks for a signature and a smile, Rick and other B5 alum Jason Carter (also a lot of fun to hang with) created an acting workshop for folks that they did at colleges and most importantly conventions. That last time I spent with him a few years ago this class was still in its infancy. His autograph table was covered with his pics but also books on Comedia, masks, and improv and his eyes lit up as he talked about his project. I hope that Jason can continue this wonderful interactive event that goes beyond the usualy hawking of wares.

Rick was a cool guy and a great actor. He will be sorely missed.

Phil

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Phil, I'm envious. Nice to know that everything folks have said about Rick is totally true...a class act and a genuine gent. Why do the good ones always go early? :frowning:

I finally got a chance to watch that tribute video...very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks