What's new

RIAA: SACD leads in Shipments, DVDA in Awareness (1 Viewer)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Let me make this a little clearer for you Lee, as you totally agreed with my point but didn't realize you did so.

If you are buying a DVD-A you are not buying a CD in any form (i.e. another form of buying music). If you buy a Hybrid SACD you are buying a CD even if one primarily uses the Hi-res layers. No one said buyers of Hires will no longer purchase CD. There are not enough titles out or coming out to justify such a stance. Buying a DVD-A definitely shows however, that a buyer is using a delivery format that has nothing to do with the CD. CD can be pirated, hence the reason the industry is looking towards copy protected mediums like DVD-A and single layer SACD, as well as copy protected CD and MP3 delivery methods.

J

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Justin, do you think if a reliable means existed to rip either of the two mediums that would further erode support from manufacturers releasing disks?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

This is where we have a difference of opinion. DVDA buyers are buying a digital medium in same size and form as a regular CD, so I don't think that is any indication of a move away from normal CD buying habits.

Again, DVDA offers no advantage over SACD in termscof copy protection so I don't follow the logic of your last statement.

There is a news story in the new Billboard that describes universals as a possible solution to the hirez market issues. I think maybe what you are ultimately getting at is that consumers might prefer a DVD player that is also used for music and can play both hirez formats. If that's true then we agree.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

If you are talking about single layer SACD then I agree with you for the most part (in theory DVD-A uses a better copy protection scheme, but both formats are bullet proof enough at this point in time). When it comes to Hybrids, the redbook layer is still acessible as a perfect digital copy.

NOTE: I am not saying having a redbook layer is bad, as I only buy Hybrid SACD discs and avoid the single layer discs Sony attempts to pimp on us for the most part. Ultimately the labels could probably live with Hybrids of some sort becomming a standard delivery format, if sales levels justified such an arrangement. This would of course require a significant number of sales due mainly to a Hi-res layer which is unfortunately not reality at this point in time.

J

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Most definitely, that is if release levels could possibly erode further than they are at today. Both formats are floundering at this point, and being able to access what are essentially digital masters would cause quite a blow.

The one thing Hi-res does have going for it is the size of the data encoded on the discs. Both SACD and DVD-A are DVD based formats, so the size of the files contained within are much larger than a WAV file of the same song found on a CD. This makes file sharing almost a non-issue at this point in time. Coupled with the fact that there are not any software players on the market which will play individual tracks from a DVD-A or SACD on your PC, and the formats are still quite stable even if copyable.

The bootleg market would probably be the biggest threat if copy protection was broken. Of course not enough people are clamoring for either Hi-re format at this time to tempt breaking of the encryption schemes, or pirating of Hi-res discs.

Until popular albums are exclusively released on DVD-A or Single layer SACD, I would say both formats are quite safe. If that day does ever come, there is still the analog hole which will allow those who pirate discs and file share to continue distributing music illegally.

J

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

I wonder if the lack of demand for these formats has ANYTHING to do with the deliberate attempt to break the ability to exercise First Sale / Fair Use rights. :rolleyes

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

That could very well be one of the factors, especially since multichannel hook-up requires 6 analog cables. Of course total consumer apathy/lack of demand probably plays the biggest factor in hurting the acceptance of both Hi-res formats.

J

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

It's a battle for the coveted title of "last hi-rez format to die".

So, does the winner chant "We're #1 !" or "We're #2 !" ? ;)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Actually looking at the article again, all Brain Moura does is regurgitate the two recent PDF files put out by the RIAA that have been floating around on various websites. The RIAA had zero statements in the article, and any conclusions within are made by Moura. So, I would say this issue is still open, as neither of the releases used by Moura are totally factual (as pointed out on several message boards) and show the complete picture of the current state of Hi-res.

J

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee

Marc,

I think you are missing the point. The reason audiophiles are intrigued is that they want a format to have longevity so more titles can be produced.

I don't give a flip about whether the mainstream accepts it or not. I just want enough stability so more and more quality labels release more and more titles I like.

I don't care if Super Audio survives more than the next 5-10 years as long as we consumers benefit in the interim and have an alternative to what I think redbook sounds like on many releases-horrible. Super Audio and DVD-Audio both get me closer to the music to where I forget about buying a new DAC or wondering why things sound metallic and these formats let me focus on artist performance.

It's all about the music. :)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, I don't think audiophiles have taken to the format as much as both sides thought. There are plenty of audiophiles who have no desire to move to either of these formats. So I'm not so sure both formats will even have a large enough niche to stay alive.

Only time will tell I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks